Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro start error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirBlack

Technical User
Apr 17, 2007
US
I need some advice on a problem I'm having when rebooting. I get the following error message:

"A problem with the hard drive has been detected. Consult the Troubleshooting section of your user's manual.

Press the Enter key to continue."

There is another message prior to this that appears only for a split second. I ran chkdsk & every other diagnostic app I can think of but continue to receive this message at reboot. This started happening after updating an app so I tried rolling back to the earlier version but still no help. I've run two different AV apps & 3 AS apps with nothing found. I did run Trend Micro's cwshredder and it found a variant (CWS.Msconfig) which was successfully removed. Again, this did not resolve the issue. Also. it seems to take a longer time to boot up. I ran msconfig to see if anything was added there but it showed only the same basic/needed items @ statup.

Anybody have any ideas as to what I can try to resolve this issue. It's a minor annoyance as usually the PC is on 24/7 but it does have me a bit nervous. Just to play it safe, I've been busy backing up every important file.

Thanks in advance for any help you might offer.

Remember, if you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

Bob B-)

Does this message appear before Windows starts booting? If so, it's probably the SMART utility in the BIOS/hard drive warning you that it detected errors/problems in the hard drive. When exactly the hard drive will die is not certain, my uncle has been getting a similar error (during POST) for the past 3+ years and his drive is still working.

The fact that you say it's noticably slower at booting up, possibly points towards a problem with the hard drive. Can you image the existing drive onto a new one?

I have found problems with slow booting machines appeared to be directly related to data access times. What started off as <3mS now approaches 50mS or greater, for some data blocks. Replacing the drive solved the problems.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I'd definitely run the drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility (usually available from their website) to check out status of drive (and possibly fix that problem) - in case it is failing.

Thanks for your advice. The error message appears before Windows starts booting up. I will check WD's site & run their diagnostic utility. I did remember something else. Before this started happening, I added more Ram & slaved my wife's HD (which crashed - after 7 years of service, I guess it deserved to go to cyberheaven) & was able to salvage files for her before it died completely. It still shows up on my system, it just won't do anything. I have just about everything backed up (should finish tonight) & will check into picking up another HD ASAP.

I'll post later with any new results.

Remember, if you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

Bob B-)

What a minute. Do rush out just yet to buy a new drive.

What do you mean your wife's HD "shows up on my system, it just won't do anything"? Where is it showing up? Is it still physically installed in your system? I would think the problem lies here, especially if the error message started only after slaving the drive to your system

Thanks for the heads up! I removed wife's old HD ran a few checks, rebooted with no errors. Sometimes, I need to talk out the problem with others & rethink what might have happened. At least I have a recent back-up of critical files.

Thanks again!

Bob B-)

Well I managed to mangle that post pretty well, but apparently you understood it as I meant it to be:

Wait a minute. Don't rush out just yet to buy a new drive.

So you need a new drive anyway, but you are replacing the correct one, i.e. your wife's.

No, new drive not necessary. I removed wife's HD & then ran WD's diagnostic on my HD & all tests passed. Also, no error message on reboot. I have a small (40 GB) HD from an old tower I have. I may reformat that one & install it as a slave or buy an external HD. Since we live in SWest Florida, I'll probably go with the latter in case we get visited by another hurricane.

Thanks again!

Bob B-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back