Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro SP3 Update Failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubentobox

Technical User
Apr 22, 2011
US
Hey everyone,

I am currently working on installing Windows XP Pro SP3 onto some computers for my company. The problem I've run into is since installing them, when I run Windows Update I am taken to the windows update page but immediately redirected to another stating that I don't have SP3 installed, and I won't be able to update.

I tried downloading the manual patch for it and installing, yet it ended with the same result.

The page in question I get taken too is
I have run WinVer to see if it pulled up some other result for the sake of curiosity, but this is most definitely a valid volume license owned by the company.

That page linked above is new as of July 15th or such when they stopped servicing XP SP2.

Here is a link that should help. Scroll to the bottom and install the Windows Update Agent. Then you should be able to get the updates. I think they changed a dll that you need to access the update site, and you have the wrong version.

When SP3 was first released, there was a patch released by M.S. to protect corporate from auto update of SP3 until it could be checked for a while before implementation. Did anyone install this "block"?

My company did, I just went to SP3 a few months ago. But I don't go to the M$ site to get updates, all of that stuff is locked down, I go to our corporate website with patches and install packages, then our security sweep checks the installed packages to whats on the server and tells us if we need to update.

I'm sorry, I meant for Ubentobox - did anyone install the "block" on his computers?

I just had this problem a few days ago. We bought new PCs with new hardware, so I started making a new image. The issue started because I only had an XP disk with sp2 around, but I figured no big deal. Then I tried to get to the Windows Update site and I got the page OP linked to. So I downloaded sp3 manually and installed. Then I got to the same page OP linked to. That seemed strange, because the page says I need sp3, which I just installed, to get to the update site. Then I found the site I linked above, which lets you install Windows Update Agent manually and all is well in the world.

Well there were two problems apparent. One was that the computer in question was not assigned into a policy for Active Directory to allow it to manually update. The second was due to that reason, the WSUS Server could not located and force an update.

However even still, moved into the proper AD policy I was still unable to force an update. My user account has unrestricted access on the proxy.

It seems what I will have to do in the end is a WSUS forced update server detection on the client side. However it still has been an issue for any computer I have installed XP SP3 since July 11th or whatever date that they had initiated the retracted support.

I have since tried several fixes though the CMD however the fixes have not yielded favorable results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back