Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro SP2 - share not accessable on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevieM

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2001
GB
I have come a cross a strange issue that I have never had before.

All machines in a 2k AD. I have added a new XP Pro SP2 machine to the network, everything seems to work fine, ping all servers, access all server shares, can ping the laptop but I cannot access the laptop by name or get to a share on it.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't!!

Stevie,

Can you ping the laptop by name, or just by ip address? What error do you get if not?

Can you access shares on the laptop by ip address?

Is there a firewall on the laptop (maybe XP Windows Firewall) that needs proper configuration?

Do you have a Node Type (name resolution) problem? Do an "ipconfig /all" on the laptop, and on a couple working computers, and compare the Node Type.

Do you maybe have a browser conflict? The Microsoft Browstat program will show us what browsers (I'm not talking about Internet Explorer here) you have in your domain / workgroup, at any time.

You can download Browstat from either:
<<
Browstat is very small (40K), and needs no install. Just unzip the downloaded file, copy browstat.exe to any folder in the Path, and run it from a command window, by "browstat status", on a couple working computers, and on the laptop. Make sure all computers list the same master browser.

For more information about the browser subsystem (very intricate), see:

I think this is a browser problem.

The machine is showing the master browser as itself. Even if I try to force an announcement it makes no difference.

I tried stopping the browser service and then it showed the DC as the master but made no differnce to the share issue.

Any suggestions?????

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't!!

Stevie,

Start by diagnosing the scope of the problem.

Post "ipconfig /all" and "browstat status" here for the problem computer, and for one or two working computers. I'll generate a little diagnostic script that you can run next, after I see the browstats and ipconfigs.

Cheers,

Chuck

Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response to experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back