Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro Screensaver Quit Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

slick12

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
Anyone experience screensaver to just stop working? Have two computers this has happened to. For a system that was to have been so improved, XP Pro has a lot of real annoyances!

What screensaver?

How has it stopped working?

Have you gone into the desktop properties to check the settings on it? What are the current settings? What are they supposed to be? Jennifer Sigman
Unemployed again

JenITChick:

The screensaver will NOT come on on two computers I have. They just fail to activate. They are scheduled to come on after 10 min., after 15 min. the monitor is to shut off. Neither of these are working. Settings have been checked, checked and re checked. I am absolutely dumbfounded! I have never had this happen. I have talked to two computer repair techs and they never heard of it.

slick12

In Registry go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

Check the following REG_SZ values:

ScreenSaveActive = 1 (this is probably your problem)
ScreenSaverIsSecure = 1 (for password protection w/ user PW)
ScreenSaveTimeOut = 600 (for 10 minutes)
SCRNSAVE.EXE = C:\Windows\System32\ssmypics.scr (or desired screensaver file name)

Note also these can be set under:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop
for when no user is logged on.

The problem has been identified with removing programs, one at a time. The culprit was MRU Blaster by Javacool Software. I had this program on both computers, hence identical problems. Once I removed the MRU Blaster, everything returned to normal. Thank you for trying to help. I really appreciated it.

slick12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back