Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro Remote Desktop Hell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatulator

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2008
RDC stopped working all of a sudden! It worked fine up until 2 weeks ago. I can't even connect INSIDE my network, forget about from externally, which I have been doing for months... I have:

1) checked and rechecked port forwarding;
2) telnet ok to host;
3) checked all firewalls & turned off Windows & Bitdefender;
4) Terminal Services service is "Started", "Manual";
5) rebuilt the entire machine!

When I try to connect via mstsc, I get no error messages - the "connect" button loses focus for a second, then the screen merely comes back! No error, no event log, nothing! I was running SP2, and rebuilt with SP3.

I've used Logmein and VNC successfully to connect to this machine, but still prefer good 'ol RDC. Can anyone help?

When you say rebuilt was that a format and clean install or just a repair install followed by an update to SP3?

Maybe the Network Card is on the way out, have you tried installing/re-installing the latest drivers for it?

Format plus clean install of XP Pro SP2 then the SP3 update. I took the latest Windows driver for my card, as well as rolled it back to see if the older one would work. No go.

Are you using an older version of SP3? I know some of the older, beta versions of RDC do not work.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Nope.. saw that one, that RDC "expired" on some XP3 release candidates. Used the latest XP3 from Microsoft updates as of May 18..

As you have clean installed XP, it is hard to see a fault other than hardware, cabling, and connections, or failing that some setting from any connected Domain such as Group Policy. What is between your machine and the outside World in the way of Routers etc?

Got a linksys linux router running DD-WRT and a gigabit switch. The kicker is, I can't even RDC to this box from another inside my network, even when I remove the switch!

I downloaded the ethernet driver from ASUS & will downgrade. Also will check for Nvidia service, but I'm running the latest driver (as of a few days ago) for my 8800GT and I don't know if this still relevant with the new drivers.

Is there ANY logging that can be turned on to try to capture what is (or isn't) happening? Event log is coming up empty.

Does Remote Assistance work to and from your machine?

When you tested without switches, was it still connected via this Router? Have you tried two machines with just a "crossover" cable?

Not sure about any logging other than firewall logging. Something like Process Monitor might give you a few clues as to why the windows is just flashing for a second?

Process Monitor v1.33

Just a couple of probably unrelated links that mention Nvidia.

Got Network issues and nForce Chipset...
thread1583-1437402

RDC blank screen problem
thread779-935549

Can you ping the machine you are trying to connect to? Can you ping your nic with 127.0.0.1? Can you connect to other pc's on your network?

You might try stopping and restarting the RPC service, although I doubt that will do much of anything.

this has bitten me a few times on a re-install or sp upgrade... but
did you check the windows firewall on the nic?

I stopped & disabled the Nvidia service, but still couldn't connect from another machine at home. Windows firewall is definitely off.

Haven't tried the ping or crossover, but I will later tonight when I'm home.

Can you telnet to the XP machine on port 3389 and get a response (a blank screen rather than a connection error message)?

eg. telnet 192.168.10.1 3389

where 192.168.10.1 is the IP Address of your XP machine. A blank screen means the XP machine is listening on the port, a connection error message would mean either a firewall or other error. You can also try this from the XP machine itelf using 127.0.0.1

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

I have similar, mind numbing, problems.

RD on OPenVMS worked fine under XPPro SP2. Then I saw SP3 released and so I thought 'Need to Keep Up to Date'.

I loaded and installed SP3 -- and RD stopped working. The Firewall isn't on.

Reinstalled OPenVMS and still cannot connect. Can Ping the IP fine.

Just in case I had inadvertently screwed the OPenVMS software I downloaded it again onto an XP SP2 machine. Worked fine so the difference is definitely in the requirements of the SP3.

How can I tell what version of SP3 I have?

It's quite depressing thinking about all the work I have to get thru without have to clean up after MS.

Unfortunately, my problem started BEFORE I "upgraded" to SP3. I was hoping that a fresh install with a clean SP3 would fix it. What was I thinking...

I give up.. I even uninstalled Bitdefender, thinking there may be something there that's blocking, but still no luck.

I can ping and telnet fine, it just won't take any f***ing RDC connections!!

Thanks to all for giving sound advice. This is a great board, the attitude and aptitude is fantastic!

Did you end up trying that crossover cable yet? Seems like your best bet would be to eliminate (mostly)all possible external hardware issues.

I'll try the crossover this weekend, as well as a different NIC. Thanks.

..it was the Nvidia video driver. Rolled back to 169 from 175 and all is well. Who knew..

Not a wasted effort, though. I learned lots, especially about this board. Thank you to all who helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back