Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp pro reboots itself every 4 hrs., can't figure why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
XP was running fine for a week, then began to reboot itself every 4 or so hours.
Got a BSOD that said to upgrade BIOS (which I did) and to disable BIOS caching or shadowing, which I don't have the options to do.

here is the error signature:
BCCode : 50 BCP1 : FFFFE1C0 BCP2 : 00000001 BCP3 : E1C00B28
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 0_0 Product : 256_1

machine is a dell dimension 500 mhz with 2 hd's

same problem here-
go check out your event log and see if its capturing any acpi errors-both read and write
i'm nearly convinced its a power management issue-thats what the acpi does-
xp changed the way it uses acpi- maybe your bios is not compatible
next step is to upgrade the bios and lets see

good luck

i get this same error...rebooting every 4+ hours or (oddly) after a minute or two with Outlook open.

i had similar problems trying to install win2k..i would always get a BSOD talking about some ACPI bios conflict and that i should upgrade my bios (but i already had the latest version).

i'm curious..what motherboard are you using? i have an ASUS A7A266 and i absolutely do not recommend it. nothing but problems...

i have a tekram mobo with a via chipset and award bios
award just came out with a bios upgrade and there is also one for
the tekram mobo to synch up with the new award

sometimes i think it may be easier to just buy a new all-intel board
and call it a day

i get the feeling intel and microsoft are less apt to screw around with each other

Now, be careful ALLEGING collusion between two such giants of the industry. Lawsuits have been started on lesser rumores. LOL.

I ALWAYS buy Intel/MS and I still have problems occasionally but at least I can expect them to fix things eventually.

I have nothing of value to add here, I'm just kibitzing(sp?).

I know this is probably a dumb queston but...
Your first post said it was a Dell. Did you check with their site and see if they have anything about XP. The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

By the way have a second computer, if you can mannage, and put things that don't run well yet on XP on it. Extreme and ridicules maybe, but it willl make you feel better till you figger it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back