Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmg214

MIS
Jun 7, 2004
US
Hi,
Can anyone give some direction on synchronizing local and network passwords??
I have set "password to never expire", but only seems to affect the local password. The network password still pops up, and is getting confusing for users who are resetting them themselves. They end up with 2 paswords, then call me to reset them, when they forget them.......
I have been everywhere,but have no solutions.....

If you open Task Manager, there is a button that says Change Password. You then have the option of changing the password on both the local machine and network at the same time.

Most of this is a decision by the domain administrators. As far as Windows is concerned, you have two Domains: the local console and the formal Domain.

Start, Run, CMD
net user /?

Will give you the information needed to synch passwords as a command line. But this is likely not going to solve the issue that there are two domains for any user, and two domain password requirements and policy settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back