Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro or Windows 2000 Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkrdr

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2004
SE
I have the choice of installing XP Pro or W2K Pro on my FS C1020 Laptop. I would just be interested to know what you think is the best.

The laptop will be used professionaly and I favour stability and ease of use.

Please take a moment and read the Product Lify Cycle for both products.

There is less than three months of availability left in Retail and OEM sites for Windows 2000 client.

They are both excellent, I would chose XP Professional.

XP is better on powermanagement and for mobile use, over 2000, so XP Pro is still a better choice.

HTH
TonHu

Thanks fellas! XP it will be.

drkrdr,

Hey, I know you've made your choice, and I agree with it. Just a few words of encouragement or advice for those trying to choose between Win2k and XP pro. Windows XP pro is basically Windows 2000 pro underneath, but with better PNP support, more "eye candy", easier to use, better multimedia support, easier networkability, and better program compatibility especially with a lot of older DOS/WIN9X games and programs. But, both are equally as stable and functional for the basic tasks. Oh, btw, Windows ME claims to have some of this functionality too, but it is built on the WIN9X platform which is not comparable to either of the above mentioned as far as stability and security is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back