Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro on Compaq Presario 17XL365

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilot1

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2001
US
I recently installed XP Pro on my notebook. I previously had Win 2000 will all hardware issues solved and all working ok. XP I find to be a most wonderful accomplishment of Microsoft, except for one problem. I cannot get the ATI Graphics Chip (Mobility Series) to work like the notebook video should. I get great performance using the TFT Panel, but I cannot get the external VGA Port to work, nor can I select any secondary video device. Anyone have any ideas on getting a driver for this notebook? I have tried looking all over Compaq's site, and have scoured all the models listed for this driver.

Thanks!!

Pilot1

Compaq won't be providing teh driver for the ATi Mobility, that is the job of ATi. The one included in Windows XP is a very basic driver, which is the reason for poor graphics performance under XP. Since XP's release ATi have said they'll release XP editions of their drivers. I'm not sure if they have done this yet, but if they have then make sure you know the model of the Mobility and head over to
You should hopefully be able to get a driver from there
If it's not out, then it looks like you'll be waiting a while knowing how *fast* ATi are at uploading new drivers.

Pilot1,

You said:

but I cannot get the external VGA Port to work, nor can I select any secondary video device.

I this a function of the video driver or is it a keyboard|BIOS function?

How did you select a secondary video device with win2k?
How did you select the video port? ----
"eXPerience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." - annon

I know the answer to this, it's the same with all mobilities. It's the driver which allows the monitor switching through the VGA port on the back. It's done from the Display Settings Window.

ok, just wondering. Wasn't sure how it worked. thanks. ----
"eXPerience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." - annon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back