Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro not accessable via LAN or VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstar1703

IS-IT--Management
Apr 7, 2005
GB
Hi,
I have a Win2003 AD with XP pro clients all working nicely together. Recently we merged with another company who also have XP pro clients & Win2000 AD setup, but I am noticing that several things are not working correctly. On all machines I cannot change the machine name & even after enabling the defauilt share C$ cannot access the machines drives. I have even enabled remote desktop but again cannot access that & to cap it all off cannot even ping them even though they are on the LAN and can use all LAN apps.

Am I missing something here?

Thanx for your time
G

Need more information. Are the other XP clients on the same network? If not how are they connected to your network? Are they in the same building or are they in a remote site. (WAN).

No worries,
XP machines are on a different domain but domain trusts are enabled and working correctly. Additonally I have logged onto that domain via remote desktop using one of my XP boxes that I configured for their domain.

It is only the XP boxes that were configured beforte the merge that are affected, as though they were on a really tight lockdown!

Thanx
G

What about the other way around? Can the XP boxes that are having a problem access your computer from where they're at?

If not, then I would suspect a network configuration issue. The connection entry might need to be recreated from scratch on each workstation to reset TCP/IP.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Hi,
No, the affected machines can ping everyone and browse via Network Neigborhood & via run command.
I guess I need to be onsite for resetting TCP which is 150 miles away...

I'm stumped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back