Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP pro machine VERY slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatonshero

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
GB
Hi,

One of our users is having troubles running Goldmine across the network, and I'd really appreciate any pointers.

Machine spec:

Toshiba Satellite Pro P4 2.6ghz/512mb RAM
Windows XP Professional

Goldmine is the only application on the laptop showing performace issues. We run a 10 user system, and no other users are experiancing such problems with performace. It takes approx two and a half mins to display the Goldmine login box, and another minute and a half to log in. Once logged in however, Goldmine runs fine.

I've cleaned the machine up by deleting all temp files etc, defragged it, and switched off the 'startup' programs through msconfig. The general performace has improved, however Goldmine remains unaffected. We perform a dump/relaod of the database monthly, and this is the only client affected.

[and yes.. I've raised it with the reseller, and no, they weren't any help:]

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rich

Rich,

If the laptop is going into sleep mode you might find the network connection is dropping from 100 meg/second to 10 meg/second.

Regards,

Richard.

The reseller did ask me to switch off the advanced option on the NIC 'Allow the computer to turn this device off to save power', I think this might be one and the same idea.

I tried this but it's not had any noticable effect.

The laptop logs into Goldmine with the same poor performace whether it's immediatly following a reboot, or if it's been running all afternoon (and gone into hibernation).

Thanks,
Rich

what antivirus solution is installed on the laptop? I've seen huge performance hits with Norton Corp Edition users who have the 'scan network drives' setting in the autoprotect configuration enabled.....

Doug Castell
Computer Control Corp
(310)396-6811

Just to add, my company runs off Tosh laptops and we ALL use GoldMine it isn't going to be the kit or GoldMine in itself, its got to be a setting.

Thanks for the replies.

The laptop has Symantec's corporate edition 8.1 installed on it. I've completely uninstalled the client, and have seen no performance increase on the time taken to load gmw6.exe and login.

I agree richardy, I've since configured another comparable laptop (fresh out of the box) on the network, and found that this takes the same amount of time to login.

My PC takes seconds compared to these higher spec'd laptop's. I'm looking for any settings that might be different, but haven't found any so far.

Sounds to me, like it could be network cable or port issue. Have you had the network guys check port configuration or the cable connectivity for the LAN connection? Also, have you checked the settings for the NIC to make sure you are running full duplex 100mb (if on a switch port)? Oh, and I've seen serious issues when users download stuff like Weatherbug to their PC's.....how much other stuff is open when he opens GM?

I'm obviously not ruling anything out, but I suspect more something O/S related or app related than a network issue.

I've tried the laptop using different fly leads and ports with no difference. The port and NIC are set to 100mb full duplex. I've also switched off all programs on startup using msconfig, apart from the Anti-Virus client and touch pad. The laptop funtions normally apart from GM (i.e. transfer rates across the network etc are the same as other devices)

I have the same exact problem with a brand new dell 2200. we are running gold mine 6 ... the rest of the intra / internet works fine.

what is really strange is if you go to the task manager you can watch the exe build under gmw6.exe and then you get the log in screen - takes about 2 mins for it to pop up - after that it works o.k not great but enough to keep you happy.

we have attempted a complete format / reinstall of just XP Pro and it still is happening. have done the complete dell system check and it passed just fine.

if you happen to find the fix you shoud post it up - our tempory fix was to get the user of that computer to use our citrix setup and not have the EXE run on the actual laptop.

Are you running GoldMine SQL?

If so try going to SQL Network client (in MS SQL Server folder) and see if it has TCP/IP setting. If so remove it and set it to Named Pipes only and see if that makes it faster.

Regards,

Richard.
PRIOR Analytics UK
Winners of the LBA Customer Service Award.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back