Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro Long Shutdown Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

slick12

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
I have two computers on XP Pro and both take 65 seconds to shutdown or reboot. I have tried the fix in the FAQ section but it tells me I have the wrong operating system when I try to install the patch! Go figure. Anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it? Any help will be appreciated.

Hmm... have you got Norton Internet Security 2001/2002 installed? The same problem occurred with me with NIS installed. It simply went away after uninstalling/installing NIS 2003.

Perhaps it's some other software which is taking so long to shutdown?

Hope that helps.

No, I don't have Norton Internet Security installed. Thanks.

Well, I tried some of the suggestions in ZDnet post, but they didn't work either. Thanks for your help I appreciate it. This sure is a hard one to pin point. If I do rectify it, I'll be sure to let you know.

I had this problem with either or both of the following:

Don't clear the page file on shutdown. The following writeup is good, but it does slow things down. >

Don't configure paging files on more than one drive. This worked fine in NT, but XP doesn't seem to like it at all.

go into the windows dir, scroll to \windows\prefetch and eliminate everything in that dir - it does no harm to your computer, just elimanates at lot of searching. It will create a new prefetch upon rebooting - when windows shuts down, it looks at the prefetch file, searches all hard drives to make sure where everything is, sets up a temp staging file and upon rebooting, looks at the staging file and sets everything in order of the prefetch - eliminating it creates a simple shutdown and upon restart, looks to your main startup dir and starts only what you wish.

I configured page file both ways, no luck. i have had a batch file cleaning pre fetch prior to each shutdown, still nothing. I also installed latest Nvidia drivers, still no luck. With all the assistance I've received from all on this, you would think something would work.

Can you tell me if you are on a network. Also is it taking long to logon as well.

XP Pro must be properly setup when logging on to Window 2000 server.

Let me know more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back