Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp pro logon to nt 4 domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhann44

Technical User
Oct 15, 2003
US
I have 3 workstations that need to logon to an nt 4 domain. They were previously working, configured with static ip's..
because of the change in internet providers I needed to change everything to dhcp.. Now no one can logon to the nt server.. I get the error network name not found..

Any help would be great..

You mean they are members of NT domain? Where are they now picking up their IP addresses (is the server now DHCP server too, or from a router....)
Have you tried removing them from domain, then rejoining?
Is Netbios over TCP/IP enabled?

They are members of the nt domain.. I have tried removing them and re joining.. The server is dhcp and netbios over tcp/ip is enabled..

Are they actually picking up an IP address at all? (or just getting the 169.x.x.x number assigned when they don't have one from elsewhere).

They are picking up an ip address.. from the dsl router, they all have internet access..

Is the server still on a static IP?

It sounds as if they are on different subnets.
It is not a great idea to have the IPs on a block of addresses owned by your Internet provider. I assume you are using a router now to assign NAT addresses. Just be sure the server is given an IP in your new subnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back