Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro laptop with network access issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokinWrek

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
US
I have a laptop running XP Pro on my network that the user takes home so she can work from home(via VPN). Lately, when she brings the laptop to work and plugs in at her desk, she has some problems. She logs in to the domain just fine, and can access shares on our NT4 servers, but not the Windows 2003 SBS server. However, if she doesn't log into the domain (just logs into the local machine), and connects via VPN, everything is just fine!? Also, sometimes after she logs into the domain if she waits a while (sometimes an hour or more), she can then use shares on the Windows 2003 SBS server. She can also log into the domain from any desktop here and access all shares just fine.

This thing is driving me nuts... Please won't someone help before I tear out the rest of my hair?

Kevin

It could be that her network settings are not expiring quickly enough. It would explain why it would work after a few hours, when her lease did expire.

Check her settings with ipconfig /all and see if it matches what your internal DHCP server is passing out.

If she comes into the office and is not assigned new network setting via DHCP she could get some funky results. I would make sure that the VPN device that is assigning her network settings when she logs on has it's lease set to expire by the time she gets to work the next day.

i had similar problems when going from work to home and resolved it by upgrading my nic drivers. however, this was for wireless not ethernet.

you can also try an ipconfig /release followed by an ipconfig /renew to force a DHCP reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back