Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro Laptop - Roaming or Mandatory Profile??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2004
GB
Hi,

I am setting a laptop up with Windows XP Pro for a new user. I was wondering which would be best to use for a mobile worker - a mandatory or roaming profile, or either? I have a GPO ion place for the user although dont want them messing with the computer either so was thinking about mandatory of roaming profile - this will be the only computer they will be using.

Hi max

You can use either but a mandatory profile will prevent the user from changing anything when they logoff and back on.

Personaly would recomend a roaming profile with folder syncronisation .. BUT !!!! remember to turn off DELETE PROFILE ON LOCAL MACHINE (its a double negative in gpo bloody m$ and their bad englund!)or the user will log off the network and walk away without a profile.

Another method would be to use a local profile for the pc and set up a VPN for your network with authentication on that.

Hope this helps

remember to turn off DELETE PROFILE ON LOCAL MACHINE" - whereabouts can i do this??

I was thinking about a Mandatory Profile, and have one set up but wasnt too sure if this would be available when the user is off the network, from what i can gather with roaming profiles it does stay on the machine. Incidentally, does a GPO configured for a laptop stay on the machine when they are off the network/is there any additional things that have to be done??

Sorry its 'Delete Cached copies of roming profiles' and is within Computer settings/Admin templates/User Profiles. and should be disabled.

As for a GPO it is applied everytime a user logs onto the domain (not the local laptop) so will stay with the laptop when its disconnected from the network.

If you set up folder syncronisation you will be able to open your synced documents from your home drive (or where ever) on your laptop when disconnected.

yeah, each user has their own "home drive" and so was gonna set this up to synchronise when user disconnects and then reconnnects to the network.

"Sorry its 'Delete Cached copies of roming profiles' and is within Computer settings/Admin templates/User Profiles. and should be disabled."

So if i delete this then their profile will still be available when disconnected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back