Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro Laptop and Serial Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonLord

Technical User
May 9, 2002
US
I have a Toshiba Satellite (1905-801)...it has no serial ports on it...I have 2 pieces of hardware that need a serial (an X10 controller and a Pronto Remote Control)...I tried a USB to Serial converter...it had 2000 drivers but not XP drivers...I tried it but the adapter doesn't seem to work...it installs but XP says there's a problem...I read somewhere that since the machine doesn't have any com ports of it's own it can't use "virtual" com ports created by the adapter...is this true are there any solutions? anybody have any success with these adapters...recommendations? thanks

The only time that I have had success using those adapters is when the device (eg your x10) has specific USB support. It is rather annoying, as you would hope that the adapter (and/or its drivers) would take card of the translation.

I have dealt with apprx 20 laptops with similar circumstances as yours, and I have yet to see one work without USB support from the device itself.

I hope that I am wrong, and that you get it working--definitely would like to know how to do it!!!! Mudskipper

thanks...

no I haven't I guess that's the next step or trying another adapter that officially supports XP (just becuase like you I figureit *should* work...

thanks again

I bought a usb to serial adapter for my laptop. Mine also didn't come with any XP drivers either...
Thankfully I found some on the web and now it works fine...

Sounds like I was lucky...

Rolly

what was the brand/item number of the one you found?

BF-800 & BF-810 USB to Serial Converter...

Dunno what brand just the model... as I have thrown away the box, but that is what I labeled my directory where I saved my drivers...

Hope this helps...

Rolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back