Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro joins 2000Domain, but no folder/files

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokerij

Technical User
Feb 12, 2003
Windows 2000 Adv. Server
Netgear Wireless Router - DHCP Doles out our IP's and uses the ISP's DNS (Time Warner Roadrunner)

Adding a 2000 client to the domain, we need to change the DNS in the network settings from Dynamic to 192.168.1.1 (add for the server)(only way to add the client to the domain), however using this DNS does not allow us access to the internet. Weird? SO we change the DNS setting back to dynamic after adding client and it allows internet and network on ALL the 2000 clients.

THE BIG ONE and MOST IMPORTANT

Adding a XP Pro client to the domain - use the same steps above. Works. However the XP client seems to lose the connection from time to time to the server and files. Internet still works fine, but if you open a server folder, it appears empty, or will hang.

1. Sometimes you can get direct access to the server and it's files, with no issues.

2. Sometimes it asks for a user name and password - you are not able to use the UN/Pass that you logged onto the client with and only on occassion will the admin/pass work.

3. Other times you can see the Root folder (DFS) on the server, but when you open the folders they are empty. Hovering over the folder will also show that they're empty..

4. Still other times you get denied access to the server all together with a network path not found error.

Thought that XP Pro was to make networking easy, this is a nightmare.

S.C. Albertin
Systems Coordinator/Newbie Tech
United Way

Help me to find my way, so that I may help others find theirs...

To avoid any DNS issues that may be causing this, put the IP and server name in the hosts file. If that resolves your issue, then you know that using the DNS outside of the domain is causing the issue.
Personally, I would prefer to have the DNS and DHCP doled out by the DC. It would give you much more control over these type of issues.

One more thing you could check is if the XP system has NETBIOS over TCP/IP settings the same as the 2000 boxes.

Thanks for the response.

"put the IP and server name in the hosts file." Which Hosts file, where would it be located?

" have the DNS and DHCP doled out by the DC" So, would i have the router set to dynamic and then the server handing out the IPs? How do I confirm the DC is configured properly?

"One more thing you could check is if the XP system has NETBIOS over TCP/IP settings the same as the 2000 boxes." Do you mean checking the properties and confirming the protocal NetBios is running along with TCP/IP? Because the 200 clients only have these protocols: 'Client for Microsoft Networks', File and Print Sharing, and TCP/IP. While the XP machines have the same thre plus Q0S Packet Scheduler

Thank you so much for your help and response. I do appreciate your time.

If you use the hosts file, the location of that is:

on XP
C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

on 2000
C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Is DNS loaded on the DC? Most likely, as Active Directory does like to maintain it's own DNS. This article might get you pointed in the correct direction:

To check the NETBIOS over TCP/IP settings (on both 2000 and XP), you'll need to click on properties of the Internet Protocol(TCP/IP), Click the advanced button, and click on the WINS tab.

Have made both the client (XP) and the server (Adv. Server2K)to have essentially the same hosts file, with addresses plugged in for both the client and server respectively. I have verified taht netbios is the same on both server and client.

i believe the Netgear wirelss router is acting as the DNS - which I think may be causing the slow down in network connection. The Netgear is also doling out the IP's as the DHCP

When you try to get to the laptop from the server, you get an error message "network path not found \\Nameofclient\Admin$"

The client can not get to the mapped network drive either. The mapped network drive is actually three folders from different drives on the server using DFS to create the mapped "drive". When I first received the client it mapped out perfectly. Within 20 minutes it was unable to connect to the mapped drive. You open up the mapped drive to see the folders, but when you open one of the folders on the server, it appears empty. I can use the run option and type in the path and it works. Allowing me access to all of it, on occassion I will lose this connection too.
Internet works fine too. I have turned off the simple sharing and firewall on the XP client

S.C. Albertin
United Way

This has happened for quite a few people. Check out this thread, as their problem stemmed from DNS/DHCP issues like yours:

thread931-1220272

I suggest having DNS/DHCP from the DC, and disable on the Netgear device. This allows you further control, and should mitigate some, if not all, or your issues.

Exactly---the router needs to be in bridge mode for the domain controller to dole out the dns. I use a Cisco 837, and my XP Pro workstation will not connect outside if I use dhcp. For some reason, I have to specify the dns servers from the isp in both the XP machine and the router. Or, you could migrate to SuSE Linux...

Tim

I can get to files on the server, i just can't get to the files/folders in the DFS structure. I can see the folder, but they are empty (as they appear on the XP machine, they are not truly empty.) My DNS is not and does not seem to be running properly on the one and only server in our setup. I turned off the Netgear routers DHCP and DNS and had just our server set to run DNS, and it would not resolve ip addresses for me, unable to get to the internet unless we used numeric addresses. I am currently looking into directlyconnecteds comment on making the router in bridge mode and getting the DNS servrs from the isp and going his route for now. I am calling in a consultant firm if I can not solve this today. I am weary on attempting to play with the DNS on our one and only server. Thanks for your help, and I will post my findings. Thanks again.

Support Tek-Tips

S.C. Albertin
United Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back