Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro Installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nocode99

Technical User
Oct 6, 2006
US
Ok guys, you have always been able to help me so hopefully you can again! My dad's laptop kept having the genuine popup come up (a legit copy of XP home) so I thought I'd reformat with an image I have at work that bypasses the genuine activation (I tried using Microsofts verification, but that didn't work). So I went to reformat and deleted the partition and booted from the CD drive. The installation has gone as far as 6% (and I went out for dinner for the holidays returning several hours later). I cannot think of anyway of getting this fixed (need to by New Years as he's going on a business trip) so buying a new drive might prove to be difficult (as I will need to ship it to him). I know the CD works as I've used it many times on other computers as well as mine.

I'm trying to learn how to use Symantec Ghost, but I'm a little lost as to how to use it (figuring a peer-to-peer ghost image would do the trick). Any suggestions?

btw, I tried using a legit XP pro CD I got from my school (fancy holographic CD) and it still doesn't work.

Happy Holidays!

Where is the correct XP CD for the Laptop? I am not sure that an Image from work is the correct thing to install on your father's machine. Laptop's may require special drivers and other software not included on any work's image. There are also certain licensing considerations that may be needed to be followed? Using Images from work, or a XP CD from school, can you be sure that the Product Keys have not been used already or in the case of work used illegally?

That all said, what errors are you getting, you haven't really told us? Why do you think the hard drive needs replacing?

Before attempting to fix the machine you might need the original install media and Product Key, especially if it was an OEM Recovery CD that came with all the necessary drivers for the Laptop. A clean install with a Retail CD (not OEM for some other machine) may work but you will then have to chase around for drivers and hope you can find them.

Nevermind guys, I got it to work. Seems like there was something funky for me by pressing F12 rather than going into the BIOS and configuring it to read the CD drive first. Thanks anyways guys.

Happy Holidays!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back