Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP PRO,, HOW MUCH MEMORY CAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

LONELUVR

Technical User
Mar 17, 2001
US
HOW MUCH RAM MEMORY CAN IT UTILIZE, I UNDERSTAND THAT 98SE CAN HANDLE UP TO 304MB, AND WIN2000 CAN USE 756MB.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP

Actually Win98SE,ME can handle up to 640MB. Any more causes "out of memory" error messages. 2000 Pro and XP can take up to 4GB.

Win2K Datacenter Server can address 64GB.

.Net DataCenter Server goes to 128GB on Itanium systems.

I can only wonder what somebody would want more than 512MB for on an XP Pro system.

auctually, win98 can only use 304mb, any more than that will cause out of memory errors or repeated crashes for no apparent reasons, then if you try to defrag, it thinks you have so many lost chains that it will right 9,999 files to save it to your harddrive,,, this is from experience.

and when working with digital media, large amounts of memory are required for altering and layering of images, that is why I want more than 512 mb of memory.

Thanks for all the info,,

My machine used to have ~390MB and W98 full-patched... but when I wanted to go to 512MB I knew it was a good idea to go XP.

THANKS YEGOLEY,, AND DO YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH XP AND 512MB OF RAM ?
AND DO YOU LIKE XP ? WHAT I HAVE USED OF IT ,, I WASN'T VERY IMPRESSED WITH IT,, MAYBE I JUST LIKE MY 98 TOO MUCH :)

I have no problems other than "issues" with my CD-RW, but I suspect buying a new one might solve that. Everything else was a problem back in W98 (such as my Gainward/Philips vid-cap not working). WXP runs my games fine and I can run other stuff in bg while playing... although I did have to replace the so-called firewall and remove a few "features" that were interfering with my UDP xfer rates. I'm happy mainly because I have not crashed since installation.

I am running 2Gb with no problems on XP. But, I'm also running twin 1 Ghz processors.

I have 516 RAM with XP Home and except for the fact I hate Home and wish it was XP Pro; and that the motherboard burned out for the second time in a week....I'm not having any problems. =)

-Bill

I was needing some help with windows XP Pro and multiple users.

in reply to LONELUVR (TechnicalUser)

I use 512pc133 with win 98 and never have got a memory error nor have I had it ever crash due to a memory error. In fact I have had the os for 4 years and it only crashed once but that was due to a HD error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back