Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro Home Networking Connectivity Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenB

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2000
US
You know, I'm resisting the urge here to just message bcastner directly. (^_-)

I have several XP Pro machines on a home network via a cable modem and router. I've just added a new machine (which everyone has kindly been assisting me in troubleshooting).

However, even though the machine is connecting through the router, and can hit the internet with no problem, I can't get it to "see" the other PCs on the network. If I try to map a drive to another PC, it can't find it. The two other PCs on the network can see each other fine. All machines are in the same workgroup.

Networks aren't my strong point. Any suggestions for where to look first? Do I need to go to the "main" PC and make one of those "Network Setup Disks"? To me, that smacks of something Microsoft through together that failed to make things simpler.

Gak! Please do not run the network setup wizard.

. Every username has a password. No blank or empty passwwords.
. A full logon with password. For pre-XP machines do not let people hit Esc to exit the password requirement.
. Workgroup name in all UPPER CASE, no spaces, and Maximum legnth of 12 characters
. Computer Name - same rules apply
. Share names for Folders and Printers, same rules apply
. Workgroup name should never be the same as Computer Name which should never be the same as a username
. Something shared on all machines: Drive, Folder, Printer, but something.
. Under the Property sheet of your Local Area Connection for the 'missing' machine, TCP/IP, Properties, Advanced, WINS tab, click to 'enable Netbios over TCP/IP' and do not use the Default value

Now the hard part - decice on the networking model for the setting 'Simple file sharing' under Control Panel, Folder Options, View.

Simple File Sharing - Enabled

Simple File Sharing - Disabled

One persistent issue that is a "gotcha" is Node Type issues. An ipconfig /all on the 'missing' machine should show a Node Type of not defined, broadcast, or hybrid. If it shows 'Peer to peer' you need to change this.

Open notepad and copy/paste the below. Save as node_fix.reg :

**** start copy/paste below this line
REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\NodeType]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\DhcpNodeType]

****** end copy/paste above this line
Double click to merge with your registry and reboot. You likely only need to do this once.

Finally, a rather nifty little XP Network troubleshooter was developed by Hans-Georg Michna, and I recommend a visit to the site:

Sorry, two other thoughts:

. If using Service Pack 2, allow the exception in the firewall for File and Printer sharing. It is a checkbox.

. If using any other Firewall, Internet Security software, or some Antivirus products, check that the firewall settings are correct. The easiest test of the firewall issue is to see if a ping test returns a valid response to the problem workstation:
There are "hidden" firewall components in some Antivirus products, PC-Illan for example. These can be configured to allow the needed Netbios traffic to flow between workstations. The ports that must be open on your LAN subnet are described here:

1. Open Up My Computer
2. Folder options
3. Uncheck to box for simple file sharing.
4. This will let u c$ the pc in a workgroup.

OK, looks like I have my work cut out for me when I get home. I know that I HAVE turned off simple file sharing on all PCs at my house.

Thanks, as always. I'll report back and let you know what happens!

:D

One thing I forgot to include in the situation where Simple file sharing is disabled, is the advisability of synchronizing all usernames and passwords.

. Make as new users on Computer A, the usernames and identical passwords used on Computer B, C, etc..;

. Make as new users on Computer B, the usernames and identical passwords used on Computer A, C, etc..;

And so on.

Another thing you can do is go to the tools on the XP install disk and install the NetBEUI protocol on the machines in your little network. It can really help XP machines "talk" with older 95/98 machines without having to mess around with the "wizard".

Just install on the machines involved and wait a bit for them to share their info.

Here is a link:

Netbui can help for intractable issues with Netbios over TCP/IP, but should not be the first or second weapon to consider. There really should be no reason for the Netbios service to not handle Windows Networking.

Let me add to the discussion two other considerations about Netbui that are not obvious, at least were not obvious to me:

. Wireless connections work very poorly with Netbui. The exact reason for this is unclear, but the phenomena is well reported. See, for example, the experiences of an experienced Windows Networking hand (and Nebui fan), and using Netbui with wireless:
. I have not myself tested this, but there is some anecdotal evidence from the newsgroups that Netbui works very poorly with Service Pack 2. Again, I have not seen an explanation for the issues, bu the reports have come from posters that are generally experienced users.

Well, to avoid this thread going off on huge tangents, all PCs on my home network are Win XP SP2. (^_-)

StevenB,

My apoligies. I had a set of notes about Netbui and I did not want that issue to muck things up. There are some hidden "gotchas" with what I think a reasonable suggestion in this thread by member MikeRG2.

Bill Castner

Heh, all that and it was ZoneAlarm. One line to allow the home network range, and I was in business.

Although I also assigned passwords for the first time, and I must admit mapping network drives behaved a lot better that way.

As always, thanks everyone for your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back