Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro Has the wrong idea about my modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose157

Technical User
Jul 25, 2003
NZ
I am using a Dynlink ( Rockwell ) V1456VQE modem, which XP Pro thinks is an 'Askey' type modem. I can reinstall the Rockwell modem drivers, and use the modem OK, but after I do this, XP finds a 'modem audio' device, which, I can't load/find drivers for, so I have to disable this in the device manager. In any case, after a system restart, XP goes ahead, and reinstalls the wrong 'Askey' drivers, rendering the modem unusable. It's getting monotonous having to reinstall the correct drivers...... Can anyone help ?

At a guess I'd say you either need a more recent modem driver or perhaps a firmware upgrade on the modem itself. HAve you had a look on the manufacturers web site?

ARRS : I've been using the latest drivers.... in fact from the link you supplied.... still same problem ! damn

Thanx for your replies

That modem audio device should be taken care of by the same INF file for your modem.
Also, when XP finds that modem tell it to use the drivers you have. It will complain but do it anyways. If it does not give you a chance and does it by itself, go to the Device manager and update the driver manually. Again it will complain, tell it to shut up :) and continue on.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

The persuasion has worked. Thanks for your help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back