Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro hangs on install + ethernet port not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

surgeVel

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2008
US
Ok, so here is the situation. I received a laptop that was ridden with spyware and malware, and I was asked to fix it. Well, after trying for an hour to rid the stuff, I decided to wipe the drive and reinstall windows XP Pro. Now, after I reinstalled Windows the FIRST time, it came up with me having two hard drives, no CD drive, and I started getting a resource conflict error on bootup. So I decided to reinstall again. This time I have a CD rom drive present but it is showing up as a removable item, as it if were an external hdd. The resource conflict error has gone away, but now the ethernet port won't work.

I have tried the drivers CD to insall the driver, I've tried downloading the newest version of the driver and bios, but neither of those helped. Basically when I install the driver it shows up but won't work, and then once I restart the laptop, the driver is gone again, but it doesn't say it is missing or that a driver needs installed. I really need to get this ethernet port fixed so that I can ghost the machine and have it back to the person who needs it. XP was hanging at 13 minutes for the last 2 times I tried reinstalling, but just now it finally installed without me taking out and reinserting the CD (I used a new CD this time).

So, if anyone has any ideas on how to fix the removable cd drive and the ethernet port, let me know!

-surgeVel

After my latest reinstallation, the resource conflict error came back.

"Resource Conflict - PCI on Motherboard
Bus:02, Device:02, Function:00

drop in another NIC.
Or is it possible you need to load other HD drivers like scsi?

How can I "drop in another NIC" when this is a laptop in which I would have to completely dismantle inorder to drop in a new NIC, but also there most likely isn't a slot for such a thing as my NIC is onboard and laptops don't comonly come with easy upgradeabiliy.

-surgeVel

There are USB NIC's you can purchase for it.

Personally I think it's a hardware issue, and it may go deeper than just the peripherals. How old is this laptop and what model is it?

Good luck,

Its a gateway 450, around 3-4 years old. I have basically concluded that it is the ethernet adapter that has failed and the only true way to repair it would require motherboard replacement since it is all onboard.

-surgeVel

Have you tried putting the HD in another Laptop to see if it will work there.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Sorry didnt realize it was lappy. Maybe get a wifi card if it has a pcmcia slot? But USB ethernet may be better.

Have you set your Bios to any Safe defaults as a test. Turn off any Bios scanning if you have it. Maybe there is a Bios update available that you could try?

Will a stand alone operating system like BartPE, boot, connect to the Internet, and run correctly?

If not then it might need major repairs to the laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back