Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP pro freeze up

Status
Not open for further replies.

surjen

MIS
Jan 25, 2002
US
On of our users is trying XP pro on his system. Sys Stats:
950MHz Athlon
Amptron Mobo
512 SDRAM PC-133
Asus 32MB V-7770 Video
Creative 5.1 sound card
10GB HDD
CD-RW drive
The HDD and CD-RW on same cable.

The problem is that after boot-up and logged-in the system freezes up.

Device Manager has a "?" on says that there's a "PCI Simple Communications Controller"

No other questionable problems in the event viewer.

He thinks that it's his HDD. When he was stagging his system he said that it froze up on him 3 times. So I'm thinking that I have to re-stage his system or it may possibly be a hardware issue.

Any ideas?

Try putting the CD-Rom and HD on a different cable. Are you sure that both are not set to master? The HD would have to be master w/slave present and the CD-Rom set to slave. I would try that. Jason Wichman
ftp://jwichman.ath.cx:22

The HDD and CD-Rom are set correctly HDD Master and CD Slave.

Look in the System -> Hardware properties to see what he has on his PCI bus that does not show up in the hardware configuration. If there is something that physically resides in his machine but does not show up , and you still have a ? and an ambigous unistalled object, that might clear up what that object is and how you can istall it. I have found that XP does not like hardware that is does not recognize. My guess, just because this one happened in similar fashion, is that it might be the sound blaster. Also try booting to safe mode and get rid of all the duplicate entries for things that might be there, as well as the mystery hardware. Then when you reboot you will have a fairly clean harware profile, and you will hopefully know what it is you need to install, and you can do this all like it was intended originally. Good luck. This issue took alot of work if done incorrectly at first. Also if you are getting an error about invalid data while installing drivers for this peice of hardware, you will have then found the bane of XP registry. But I digress, just figure out what hardware the ? stands for, then go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back