Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xp Pro doesn't shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLSigman

Programmer
Sep 20, 2001
US
We think it's a thing with the Netware Client, but I wanted to see if anyone else has this problem.

I go to Shut Down at the end of the day, and some programs in the system tray vanish, but it never shuts down. I have to turn it off at the power button. But when it boots back up, I have never gotten the "Computer was improperly shut down, running ScanDisk" thingy. I'm using Novell CLient 4.83, which is supposed to be copacetic with XP.

I'm just worried that it's going to corrupt my hard drive, and I'll loose a ton of work and some personal stuff on here. Any ideas? Thanks, Jennifer Sigman
Code-borrower extraordinaire
"They call us public servants for a reason..."

I have slitly the same problem but with reboot. When i do a reboot it goes to the Login screen and after like 5sec the mouse don't respond and the computer juste stays there. I have looked on other forum and on microsoft web site and they say its a known bug and it will be fix when the Service Pack 1 is release. By that time i recommend you wait till the light of your Hard drive stop flashing and the close your computer in that way theres a good chance you wont loose data.

Hope it help. sorry for my english

SP1 is due... what, August? *sigh* Thanks, I'll mess around and see if I can figure something out. Jennifer Sigman

z-d news said this week that sp-1 won't be out until sept. or maybe even oct. ouch!, for those that need it.

The Novell thing didn't exist... the others just agree that it doesn't want to shut down. ;-) Thanks, tho. Jennifer Sigman

Have you let it sit for awhile after telling it to shut down. I added something to mine yesterday and now it takes about 5 minutes to power off.
Running Adaptec(Roxio) software can have this effect and it seems to be tied into Direct CD.

Well, none of those seem to help... I found Friday I can fake it by logging out, then picking "Shutdown and Power Off" when the log-in screen comes back up. It's better than nothing. Thanks for the tips, tho. Jennifer Sigman

Are you able to log off XP, then shut it down from the logon screen?

So far, if I pick XP's log off (the one next to the shut down button), it seems to work. Or at least it has so far. ;-) Jennifer Sigman

I've been having a similar problem with shutdown as of the last week or so. I hit shutdown and the computer appears to start(hard drive light strats to flicker floppy drive, etc.) the shutdown process and then it just stops. I have to hit shutdown a second time and then it does.

Jennifer,

The problem with your shut down is in the programs you are running. When you are running too many programs when you shut down computers seem to hang. In all my experiences like yours I would prest control+alt+delete and then go to the task manager. When you are in the task manager make sure there aren't any applications running. If there are no applications running check on the processes under the processes tab. The main processes should be explorer.exe not iexplore.exe (internet explorer), msdtc.exe, taskmgr.exe is the task manager itself( don't end this process, you will shut down your task manager), svchost.exe is your network service, System, smss.ex, and winlogon.exe. all others could be ended. Once you end those you should be able to shut down properly, i don't reccomend pressing the off button when the light isn't on because your hard drive is still spinning probably at no less than 5400 rounds per minute and that is pretty fast, imagine 5400 to 0 in a split second, that isn't good for your hard drive and i wouldn't reccomend it! Also try to clean up your startup in msconfig :)

Be sure the system is defragged often. Diskeeper Lite is a free download - search Google. The built-in defrag >
Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Defrag is fairly good (a limited version of Diskeeper). This is often overlooked and very important to optimum performance including shutdown.

Dave Y

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back