Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp pro dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

PitchBlack

Technical User
Mar 18, 2003
NZ
Clean install of XP Pro - everything went well except on the final reboot to get to the desktop. The XP Pro splashscreen comes up briefly and then nothing - monitor shows black - no HD activity.

Restarting in safe mode gives me access to the desktop - no conflicts in "Device Manager" whatsoever.

Restart in "Normal" mode and same thing happens as above - brief splashscreen - blank screen - no HD activity.

This is driving me nuts!!!

Any suggestions as to what the problem could be? The system its installed on is:
Asus A7V8X-X mobo
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Maxtor 30GB HD
256MB PC2700 DDR

XP can be funky on install. I would reformat and try again. I have had similar problems. I have had to retry a few times to get it right. It's worth the initial headaches. XP Pro rocks!!

Tried installing three times already - same thing... not pleased :(

Go into your BIOS setup and select the most "detuned" of the default options. If it boots ok enter BIOS setup on the next restart and select the performance default. If still booting ok make any additional changes to your BIOS *one at a time*, making a written note of what you change, and dial it in.

Best

Howdy:

Just for the heck of it, but did you disable the on-board (BIOS) anti-virus program??

Murray

See if any of these help you.

Run the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor.
You can use the Microsoft Windows XP Upgrade Advisor tool to audit the current status of your computer and get a report of known hardware and software compatibility issues (based on Microsoft testing before release). If you are concerned about the results of the report, do not install until these issues are corrected. Contact your hardware or software manufacturer for updates that make the products run properly on Windows XP.

Upgrade the Computer BIOS.
Before you start the upgrade process, obtain and install the latest basic input output system (BIOS) upgrade for your computer from the computer manufacturer. If you update the BIOS after you install XP, you may have to reinstall Windows XP to take advantage of features such as Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) support in the BIOS. If possible, update the firmware in all devices before you start the install of XP.

310064 - HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You Upgrade

316639 - HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll work my way through them and see how I go :)

I just find this problem strange because I successfully installed XP Pro on an older Win98 machine without a hitch - this is the first "clean" install on brand new components that I am attempting - and the system checks out fine in terms of hardware compatibility.

Thanks again - much appreciate your time in helping me.

Peace.

While you are in Safe Mode you can also check this.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

sounds like a video card problem

try removing the video drivers in safe mode or trying a different card

If the bios is up to date you should be able to alter the settings to change the way the video card is used

if you need to find out what video card you have try this (worked well in win9x and some success in win2k and winxp)

in command prompt do the following
c:\debug
-dc000:35
and look on the right hand side for clues as to the make of the video card

or

-dc000:50
-dc000:100
you have to change the end numbers until the info comes up
"Work to live, don't live to work"

"The problem with troubleshooting is that sometimes it shoots back"

My two cents worth, I agree with immacola!

I had a similar problem with an older video card (voodoo3). Mind you I could sometimes get to the desktop but the icons had no colour and I couldn't select anything with the mouse. I had to get a overlay driver (I beleive that was the term) before getting it to work properly. However, since you said that this was new hardware that ckecked out in harware compatability I still wouldn't rule it out! Check with the video manufacturer and find out if there are issues with XP or updated drivers. Heck, check all you hardware manufacturers just in case!

Good Luck Cheers

All responses are appreciated!

I vote for the Video being the culprit.

Make sure you have the proper PCI/AGP configuration in the BIOS.

Also try removing all video drivers that may have been installed and are directing your system incorrectly. To upgrade to newer drivers it is advisable to remove older video drivers first.
Also make sure your refresh rates being used are compatible with the monitor.

Good Luck,
Nick

i was having the very same problem... try installing directx in safe mode and reboot, worked for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back