Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro Client slow browsing NT4 Server shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

varuna

Technical User
Mar 5, 2002
GB
We have several new systems running XP Pro SP1 connecting to our NT4.0 domain. When browsing shares the contents of the folders take a long time to appear, the shares are on a NT 4.0 server sp6.0a NTFS. General working with these shares is very very slow.

Any ideas? I have found a couple of articles relating to problems with SMB after XP SP1 has been applied.

Any help/thoughts greatly appreciated.

Varuna No Pain No Gain

Hi!

I have the same problem. We have 58 win 9x clients on NT4 SP6 network and have just acquired 4 new desktops with XP Pro SP1. We have the same problem you report - aprox 40 seconds to access the network drive.

Did you find out what was wrong?

kind regards

David

Open notepad, copy and paste the following in:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]
@="Scheduled Tasks"

save it as something like "fixme.reg" and run it on each of the 2k/xp machines.. that should sort the speed out!

Will try the reg hack. Before I do though, what does it do?

I did manage to find the main cause of the problem. Our systems are mostly dell. There was a documented problem relating to their multimedia keyboard driver causing 100% CPU utilisation on some systems.

We were suffering this but performance can still be ropey.

What systems do you have Holtbyd?

did you sort it?
No Pain No Gain

the reg hack stops 2k/xp machines looking for a "scheduled tasks" folder on evrey machine it accesses.. NT, novell and *nix machines dont have this (only 2k and xp!) so it takes a while to time out..

i was having this problem too, and just found the answer looking through google :)

if the reg file doesnt work for you, you can place the entry back in the registry by removing the hyphen at the start of the second line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back