Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro - Blank desktop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterasf

Technical User
Jul 1, 2002
BE
Who can help me with this one?

Since a re-boot yesterday, my desktop has gone missing. Only the wallpaper appears and the mouse-pointer.
This is the same when booting in safe-mode.
Pressing CTRL-ALT-DEl gives the possibility to run applications, but when trying to run 'c:\windows\explore.exe' the system reports this file as missing, although it can be selected using the browse option and when I check the properties, it reports approx 984 KB.
I already ran SpyBot and Microsoft Spyware (Beta) but to no avail.

Before the re-boot I ran AdAware to get rid of a hi-jack which directed IE always to the same website.

I really would like to prevent a re-installation and format although I might be able to back-up most of my files before.

If it is not the explorer.exe gone bad, might it have to do with the user-rights? I am the sole user of this system and always log-on as 'Administrator'

Thanks in advance!

Peter

eh, shouldn't it be explorer?

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Yes, sorry.

Of course it should read explorer.exe.

I tried to run explorer.exe from the cmd line and it returns a 'file not found' message, although it exists. I can even rename explorer.exe to e.g. explorer.old and then rename it back to explorer.exe.

When i run 'dir c:explorer.exe /s' (/s switch is to include all subdirectories - for those who missed the DOS-era)is , the file is found in 3 different directories, although all three are identical. I already tried to copy one from the c:\windows\system32\dllcache dir to the c:\windows dir where it should be, overwriting the existing one, but to no avail.

Thanks,
Peter

well, it could be that your explorer file has somehow been corrupted...

is explorer listed as one of the running processes?

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Try:

Right-click desktop > Arrange Icons by
Check 'show desktop items' is ticked.

John

It said Windows 2000 or better, so I bought a Mac

To Crowley16
No, explorer is not running

To JohnCurtis
The only action that can be taken on the desktop is CTRL-ALT-DEL to acces the Task Manager. Right Clicking does nothing.

Thanks
Peter

does typing in the full pathname at the command prompt work?

c:\windows\explorer.exe

??

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

the explorer process is a native windows system process which controls (I think) disk i/o stuff, since it's not running, you won't be able to do pretty much anything.

looks like your windows has been damaged pretty badly, if you don't want to reinstall, then you should try a repair...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

explorer doesn't control any I/O stuff as your system would run quite happily if you replace explorer.exe with a different shell.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Run regedit from Task Manager.
Navigate to:
HLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\shell

Does it contain the reference "explorer.exe"?

Thanks for the propositions. I'm at home now (it's 19:10 here in Europe) and will try both Monday morning as soon as I get in the office. I sure didn't like to abort my attempts to get the system running!

If there is a problem with the registry keys, which software (freeware or buyware) to repair/clean/edit can you recommend?

Thanks a lot.

Peter

So Doing:

Task Manager -> File -> New Task -> "explorer.exe"

does nothing? Sounds like a corrupt file to me. Would a reinstall be that much of a trouble to you?

Try a repair install. Check out for more information about this, if you're unfamiliar with it.

Also check out info on this on the MS website at
I haven't done a repair install in a while, but believe that you may have to run an SP2 update afterwards. Overall, it should take no more than 45 min for the repair install and another 45 min for the SP2 udate (less if you have the MS SP2 CD, which BTW you can get free - not even postage - from MS)

S

I'm back at the office now and here are the answers to the props:

BCastner:
'Run regedit from Task Manager.
Navigate to:
HLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\shell'
Under the Winlogon folder there are 4 other folders, named Credentials - GPExtensions - Notify - SpecialAccounts, but none of them contains a reference to shell or explorer.exe

DragonQ0105
The full path gives exactly the same 'File not found'-error message.

My guess is that the explorer.exe file has replaced by a malfunctioning copy. Leaves the question why is there no 'File not found'-error generated when during the boot-process the explorer.exe file is executed?

I suppose there is no other solution but to reiinstall XP Pro.

Thanks,
Peter

I copied the explorer.ex_ file from the XP installation CD and expanded it in the c:\windows\ directory (I suppose that's where it should be?). When I try to run it I still get the 'File not found' - error.

As said before, I can copy, move, rename thsi file but when attempting to run it, Windows 'can't find the file' !

Thanks,
Peter

This is getting even worse...

I ran "SFC /ScanNow" from the TaskManager with the XP Pro installation CD inserted. Don't know If it should report any errors/action, but after the blue bar got to the right, command was back to TaskManager without any report.

I tried to reboot my PC but it takes an awfull lot of time and the screen driver is gone so I have a 640x350 screen with around 16 colors ...

I then tried to do a reinstall as mentioned proposed, but XP doensn't propose the 'R' option for a Repair. It warns me that all files in the \Windows folder will be overwritten and the 'My Documents' folder PROBABLY too.

Who can help me now?

Thanks,
Peter

Well I did try to re-install XP, and I now have a dual-boot system with both systems being XP Pro. I choose another folder for the new installation : \winxp (instead of \windows). No files were deleted, but it will be many hours work to reinstall the programs, recreate links etc...

Is it possible to copy the back-up I made of the Documents and Settings folder over the new folder?

Thanks,
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back