Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro and Windows Media Player 10 Performance issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

crutch006

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2004
GB
Hi guys

Apologies if i'm in the wrong forum!!

I'm running XP Pro (sweet as a nut and tweaked pretty good!)
but i'm having alot of problems with the perfomance of Windows Media Player 10.

I only use it to play my hoard digital music (approx 4000 mp3's 1000 wma) and recently the delay between clicking tabs, the constant hanging between tracks and now an unusual pause with audio playback is doin my blinking nut in!! :)

My Pc is an Athlon XP 3000, 1.256 gig ram, fully updated and 100% adware and virus free.

now, heres to my question!!

does a) anybody know of any know issues with media player 10 performance? (ive already disabled visualisations etc)

or b) does anyone know any uber-tweaks that can help me to improve the perfomance?

or c) am i just buggered because of the volume of music im making my little athlon baby process??

thanks in advance guys!. hope i provided enough info! let me know if i can describe any better

ta

crutch

seeking equality for goats

an update on this.. all players suck as winamp etc are providing choppy audio playback!!!!

re-installed sound card drives to no avail!!

help!

Couple things worth trying. I read you reinstalled the driver however sometimes disc have 2 or 3 drivers that you may use for the device. Try one of the other drivers as well. Also try a windows driver. Second how long has this been doing this? Third have you checked to make sure your ram is compatible with your motherboard? Also try running sfc. Whens the last time you ran scandisck and defrag?

thanks for the replies guys!

ok EF!

sound drivers checked, tried multiple versions and standard win drivers to no avail

its been occurring for around 2 weeks out of the blue.

ram is compatible and been fully tested

sfc??? sorry whats that!!!!???

scandisk and defrag run almost weekly to be honest (im a bit anal about it for some reason)

re: Linney

thanks for the informative links but unfortunately these seem to be barking up the wrong tree. it almost appears to be a real performance problem as winamp plays files with the same fault.. im at a loss guys!!

again thanks dudes!!

sfc is system file checker. Put your system disc in close any window that loads, go to command prompt and type sfc/scannow. If it says please insert a disc with sp2 then you will need to make a windows xp service pack 2 disc. I have a link below on how you do that.

Try this tree for a change of view.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

What happens if you make a small folder up of a selection of your music, do you get the skipping sound then?

FAQ779-4784 may help.

windows XP running very slow
thread779-796508

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with sound.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Check you CODECs that are installed... one or more are basically clashing with another...

Sherlock the Codec Detective is good for checking to see if they are damaged, Download from:

it is free...

You may aswell see if there is a suitable Codec Pack on that website aswell, and update these...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back