Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp pro and the mysterious cd rom glitch 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetodit

MIS
May 9, 2002
US
Hi everyone, here's a question for you.
I have 3 identical computers with windows XP pro that was installed via cd-rom.
On 1 computer, I have a very interesting problem. The cd-rom drives works with certain types of cd's, like the windows disc and ms office, but when I try to install other applications, it will not read the CD - it does not even recognize there is a cd in the drive. I have tried swapping drives and upgrading drivers with no success. I know the drive works b/c it will work with the windows disc.
What am I missing here?
Thanks for your help,
GB

Have you tried installing these "other" applications with a different cd-rom drive?

Is it a multi-session CD?

Was the CD written and not closed and therefore only readable in a CD-RW drive that you have?

Is it a burned CD? If so, what color is the underside of it?

Let me know when you can...

Cheers!

I have tried installing the apps on other computers - the cd's are "store bought", I did not burn them. The apps I'm trying to install are Adobe Illustrator and Acrobat. I'm not sure what the problem is - the software autoruns properly on the other 2 machines, but is not recognized on the problematic machine.
Should I re-install XP? I dread doing this, as I would have a big backup job to do and am not sure it would fix this little problem. I wonder if there's a registry sanfu?

I have seen this more than once the cure is strange to say the least
re install microsoft windows media player and all roms will work normally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back