Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xp pro and dbase for windows 5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilwud

Technical User
Dec 2, 2003
US

Changed to windows xp using dbase for windows ver 5
I enter 20 to 30 records and dbase closes
This worked fine on all previous version of windows
Can anyone tell me what to look for
Could it be in files and buffer settings
If so where do you set these
I added line in ini file
pervmfiles=150
I believe this sets the filesw ?
(found the tip in a forum)
but this did not solve the problem

First, the PerVMFiles=nnn setting applies ONLY to Windows Millennium computers. All other Windows versions still use FILES=nnn (up to 225 I think, but in most cases 80 to 100 is more than enough) in a CONFIG.SYS or CONFIG.NT file.

With Windows XP locate and modify the file CONFIG.NT which should be in the C:\Windows\system32 directory. That should resolve any issues where you might get the "Too many files open" error.

Now, as for your problem, you left out some important information. Does your XP have SP1 installed? Are you on a network? Are the tables on the server or computer on the network? If so, you may have locking/saving/buffering issues.

Review the responses on these similar complaints with other versions and languages to see if any help in your case. Then, post back here to let us know what worked or didn't work.

thread290-726910

I saw your post on thread290-704687 and wonder if you've tried this workaround logic to get the computer to write a buffered record to the table:

APPEND BLANK
GO RECNO()

I agree that it would be awkward to close and reopen a table every time a record is appended.

I know FoxPro had a command named FLUSH that was supposed to save all buffered data, but I don't know if recent dBase versions have a command like that.

I found a thread182-655739 mentioning opportunistic locking. The following articles refer to NT, but nothing was changed in W2K, so this still applies. - "PC Ext: Explanation of Opportunistic Locking on Windows NT" and - "Level II Oplocks Are Not Granted After a File Is Locked".

On another thread182-686206 I found this: Opportunistic Locking on the server can affect this. There's also a bug with XP clients that was fixed in XP Service Pack 1.

To disable Opportunistic Locking manually on a Windows 2000/XP Workstation computer:

1. Enter the OplocksDisabled entry into the below registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MRXSmb\Parameters
OplocksDisabled REG_DWORD 0 or 1
Default: 0 (not disabled)

2. Set the value to 1 to disable Oplocks

3. Reboot the workstation computer.

dbmark
thanks for the reply
I do not have sp1
I am not on a network except through my local wireless
but my files stand alone in each computer
I have tried flush-it does not seem to have any effect
the files always seem to be available after I re-open dbase
no message occurs re file in use or unavailable or anything like that
I have also noticed that If I close the proceedure before the dbase closes itself and open up another proceedure without restarting dbase, that dbase while using completely different files, will close as it would have done had I continued in the first proceedure.
Almost as if dbase was going tp quit no matter what job it was given- it decides it will only do so much work, then it quits. I can restart it and it works fine ?
I looked at the other threads.
I was unsure of what to do with the hkey_local statement, so I entered it in my internet explorer address bar. I read some articles resultant from that- but saw nothing that seemed to apply.
The oplock might be part or the problem, but I did not understand the application to the registry key. My files , though, do not seem to be locking.
Thanks again .
Dbase inc gave me the quick response that because dbase win 5 was 16 bit and xp was 32, that it was simply a compatibility problem-just buy some more software and do lots more work to change what was working fine till xp.
I have not seen any threads that indicate that other users are having incompatibility problems with xp and dbase for windows 5.
Earlier I found a few language issues that gave me problems finding files. Those are cleared up. All works fine except dbase keeps quitting before I am finished.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\... refers to registry keys you can change using REGEDIT. Since you are unfamiliar with it, I'd suggest you try other suggestions first since a mistake there can be serious to the entire Windows system.

I don't know if FLUSH is a command in your version of dBase. It's not in my dBase version 5 for DOS. I do know that it was in FoxPro 2.6 some 10-12 years ago.

Since you don't have XP SP1, that's the first thing to do. Install XP SP1 now. As I mentioned above, one contributer said that something in SP1 fixed many issues. So go do it. And may as well get all the rest of the security patches too. If the network does not have a good firewall, you could get the Blaster infection or who knows what else.

Dbmark
Thanks again for your interest
I have adjusted the config.sys- no change
SP1 is installed- no change
Tried the Hkey registry fix- no change
Flush is a part of the Dbase foe windows 5 language-tried it earlier- no change

New findings
When I exit one program before it closed on its own, and started another program during the same activation (session ?) of dbase, and processed data, the program went for a short time and similarly dbase closed down as before.
When I start a new session of dbase and run the second program, the second program will also close down during the data processing.
I received the message on the screen
" Cant Run 16 bit windows program "
" Insufficient memory "
I fooled with the memory settings in the msdos to see if that helped any- no change
I dont know if this dbase still is affected in any way by the dos environment as was my dbase 111 plus
I had to do some memory configuration back in those days
At that time I run clipper to make exe files and needed to set it to run at about 540 maximum executable file size
But this problem seemed to disappear when I switched to dbase for windows
The memory settings for msdos are all set at the auto settings and work well in 98 and me versions of windows
I have been running a reasonably large dbase program without any difficulty for a long period of time.
I am running the exact same code in my compaq 1240 with windows 98
I was running the same code in windows me with the same success
I have installed dbase for windows 5 in 3 different xp,s
all have the same problem

Someone has suggested I set up some sort of a virtual system where we can run windows 98 as well as xp
I dont like that idea as I am creating some sort of monster
There must be a simpler fix
Currently I just use my windows 98 computer when I must generate data
Any ideas out there

I've noticed that no one has mentioned enabling XP's compatibility mode and setting it to an earlier windows version
This is done by opening the properties of your programs startup icon and selecting the compatibility tab. Enable compatibility mode and select the version you want windows to emulate. I personally haven't used this option, and therefore don't know if this will work, but it may be worth a try.
Hope this helps

Tommy

Tommy
Thanks for your interest
Yes I have tried all the compatibility modes
None solve the problem
Sorry for the delay in response
I was away over the holidays
Rudy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search