Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro & Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBreeze

Technical User
Jun 15, 2001
US
Hi all,

I have 2 pc's running xp pro and one with 98SE. My problem is with one of the XP's. If I set it to automatically get the ip address, it won't talk to any of the others. If I manually enter the info, I can talk on the network with no trouble, but it will not connect to the cable modem. I'm using a Network Everywhere router.

Under Network Connections, I have a Lan or High Speed Internet connection called Local Area Connection. I put in the ip address, subnet, and default gateway. I also put in the dns server numbers.

I'm using tcp/ip

Any ideas?

-=Rob

It sounds as if the manual addresses you are giving the client machines are on a different subnet than your router.

Lets assume that by default the router has a base IP address of 192.168.1.1. It begins assigning through DHCP addresses at 192.168.1.100. So if you obtain an IP address automatically you would receive the address something like 192.168.1.100.

You should have internet access.

But if your other two clients have IP addresses that are something like 192.168.0.2, and 192.168.0.3 you will never see them. They are on a different subnet.

Set all clients to static ips. If the router has a default address of 192.168.1.1 use the following for each client:

Now very important setting for each client: for the DNS address put in the IP of the router, 192.168.1.1 in this example. Then click 'Advanced', WINS, and enable Netbios over TCP/IP. After setting up each client run a command session and type ipconfig/release and then ipconfig/renew, or just reboot each one.

You should be okay now.

Darn, I forgot. Also for each client make an entry for the default Gateway the IP of the router.

Ok, this is what I have:

pc #1: XP Pro
ip address: 198.168.1.2
subnet :255.255.255.0
gateway: 198.168.1.1
dns server: 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS enabled over TCP/IP

pc #2: 98SE
ip address: 198.168.1.3

pc #3: XP Pro
ip address: 198.168.1.4

I can access each pc from each other.
I can access the web from pc's 1 & 2
I cannot access the web on pc #3.

Any idea on #3? What other info would you need?

Thanks a lot!

-=Rob

can you access the web on pc3 as a stand alone? may not be your network settings but maybe a problem with your browser config

PC 3 will not connect via the router or directly connected to the cable modem. So I assume that leads us to think it's a browser issue. We should assume the router is ok because I can talk to the other pc's through it, correct?

If so, what do you suggest I look for?

Thanks!

-=Rob

I tried resetting the tcp/ip, no dice. One thing I have noticed:

On pc#2 when I look at the Network Connections, I have 2 things, Internet Connection Enabled under Internet Gateway and The LAN one under LAN/High Speed.

On pc #3, I only have the LAN one, NOT the Internet Connection.

A clue? This sure doesn't look right to me LOL

-=Rob

have you tried running the internet connection wizard?
internet options/connections/setup?

Yeah, I tried that. At the end it tells me my broadband connection should already be configured and ready to use.

-=Rob

The Internet Connection stuff you see on #2 shows that you have enabled uPnP on that machine, and that the router is uPnP enabled as well.

It should not make a difference, but what the heck. To enable uPnP on the computer missing this entry go to Control Panel | Add Remove Programs | Windows Components | Networking | double-click to expand | Check the uPnP option, and apply the change. Windows will then load the software components of the service. After a reboot you should see entries identical to computer #2.

As for computer #1 and TCP/IP, go back into properties on this computer and check that under Advanced, WINS that you enabled Netbios, and remove the checkmark from LMHosts if present. On the first screen change its address from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.4. As before either reboot or do an ipconfig/release and renew sequence and try again.

I've read through this whole thing and I'm wondering if the problem is your patch cable even though that sounds too simple. Have you tried hooking your #3 up using the cable that is currently on #1?

The "Internet Gateway" connection you see on #1 is XP's Internet Connection Sharing feature that allows that machine to monitor and control ICS and you don't need it. That is used to control the internet connection (enable/disable) and you probably don't need it, but it doesn't change anything. If you want to uninstall it you can do so from Add/Remove Windows Components under Networking.

Make sure the XP firewall isn't enabled on #3 (Right-click the connection and click the advanced tab).

-Volkoff007

Geez, this is getting ugly.

Now my taskbar only gives me the hourglass, including the start button.

Any ideas on that problem? This thing is determined to ruin my weekend LOL

A question on the patch cable idea......I'll try it after I fix this latest issue, but if the patch cable was bad, I shouldn't be able to talk to the other pc's, wouldn't you think?

-=Rob

Save yourself some grief and do a new patch cable now.
An intermittant one can cause very loooooong startup times as windows tries to find a DNS server, searches for active network shares, and implements its half of uPnP.

Ok, the patch cable idea is no good. I tried a known good one and had the same results. I fixed my start button problem by uninstalling the upnp mentioned above.

So now I'm back at square one, all pc's talking to each other, but #3 not going online.

Any other suggestions?

Appreciate all the help!

-=Rob

The firewall thing didn't work either huh?

If you hook #3 up directly to the cable modem can you ping any websites? (Open a command session and type ping or ping 66.218.71.91 and see if you get a Reply or Request timed out). This will let us know if you at least have a connection at all.

At #1 and number #3 open a command session and type ipconfig /all and let us know what it says for both.

You might want to uninstall that Internet Gateway from #1. It's designed to allow that computer to control the other computer's ability to access the internet. I have no idea why it would prevent #3 for no reason, but you never know. Go to Control Panel>>Add/Remove Windows Components>>Double Click Networking and uncheck Internet Gateway Device and click Next.

I uninstalled that one time and it didn't affect anything.

Good luck, let us know....

-Volkoff007

Ok, what am I doing wrong? Neither pc will connect when directly connected to the modem, but #1 will through the router.

Here's the info for the 2 pc's.....

pc #1 (working one)
Pinging 66.218.71.91 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.218.71.91: bytes=32 time=85ms TTL=50
Reply from 66.218.71.91: bytes=32 time=84ms TTL=50
Reply from 66.218.71.91: bytes=32 time=93ms TTL=50

Ping statistics for 66.218.71.91:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 84ms, Maximum = 93ms, Average = 86ms

C:\Documents and Settings\test>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LAPTOP
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
rnet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-4C-00-10-5A
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

and pc #3:
Pinging 66.218.71.91 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.218.71.91: bytes=32 time=88ms TTL=50
Reply from 66.218.71.91: bytes=32 time=88ms TTL=50
Reply from 66.218.71.91: bytes=32 time=97ms TTL=50

Ping statistics for 66.218.71.91:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 85ms, Maximum = 97ms, Average = 89ms

C:\Documents and Settings\test>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : main
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA310TX Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-E3-06-E9-5F
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Ok, I need some sleep. Let me know if this tells you anything. Thanks.

-=Rob

Make sure you clone the MAC address of PC #1 in the router. You will find this option under the Advanced Tab in the router sestup.

The address, if I followed you correctly, is:
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-4C-00-10-5A
but check using IPCONFIG/ALL.

As long as all three PCs can see each other over the net, then your connections are fine.

I believe cloning the MAC address and rebooting all machines will take care of the rest.

I tried setting that address as the mac address. When I rebooted, pc #1 wouldn't go online. I put it back to what it was and I'm back where I was before.

This thing is putting up a fight LOL

-=Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back