Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro Adminpak Error connecting to Win2000 DC!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEI4ever

Technical User
Sep 3, 2003
US
Hello,

I have installed Adminpak for Server 2003 on a XP Pro machine and need to connect to a Windows 2000 Active Directory Domain. When I try to open AD Users and Computers I get the following error

"Naming information cannot be located for the following reason: The server is not operational.
If you are trying to connect to a Domain Controller running Windows 2000, verify that the Windows 2000 Server Service Pack 3 or later is installed on the Domain Controller, or use the Windows 2000 administration tools."

The Domain Controllers all have Service Pack 4 installed on them. Other XP machines I have can connect without a problem but I have run into this on 2 different machines.

Thanks for the help..

Why not install AdminPak for Server 2000? There must be an incompatibility issue with 2000/03!

That should work!

Windows 2000 Adminpak is not compatible with XP PRO. I had tried that first, but it wouldnt run. Server 2003 Adminpak is compatible with Windows 2000 Server Service Pack 3 or higher. My DC's have Service Pack 4..

Any Other ideas?

Thanks

I get that error message every once in a while, but restarting my MMC usually solves this.

Not much help, I know.....

I have tried it many times and also restarted the machine and reinstalled the adminpak...nothing has worked..

Thanks again for the help

I ran into the same issue. If you have an old beta copy of 2003 server, the beta version of the adminpak works better than the released version (depending on build number) in some environments.

Thanks Mark, But I have this same adminpak running on other XP machines without problems. It is just these two machines that have the problem and they are too valuable to format and start over...any other suggestions

Thanks again

Tim

In that case you might try removing the machines from the domain and re-adding them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back