Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro AD account vanashies off desktop machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVANH

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2005
I have several users that have had a profile on a Windows XP Pro machine just vanish. The profile is for their Active Directory User account (W2K3). We are not using Roaming Profiles on our network. You can recreate all of the profile settings and reconfigure everything and the next time they log off and back on the setting are gone. I have found threads that suggest that the NTUSER.DAT file gets corrupted, but in this case there is no NTUSER.DAT file saved it just disappeares. If we create a new AD user account and have the user authenticate using that account it will keep the settings. Whats UP?

Sounds like a problem with the permissions on the roaming profile directories. The user's should be the owner of the directory and all subs. If there is another user listed as the owner, delete the entire folder and let it get created on the next logoff.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

These are not Roaming Profiles.

The Profiles that stop working are profiles that have worked for some time.

They are not guest profiles.

The problem appears to be random. I have had 3 or 4 profiles in different areas of the campus (Users are in differnt OU's) on different computers that have just stopped working. I only have Global Group Policies set at this time. And they only pertain to Outlook Archive settings.

check the permissions thing though...

and make sure the users are Domain User members, and not guest members (builtin groups)

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

I checked the permissions The user was a member of Domain Guests. I removed it form that group but the problem remains. I have created a new AD User account for the user and that one is working just fine. I compaired the permissions between the two they are set the same.

One more piece of info.

The account will not work no matter what XP Pro machine you try to log on to. It just will not save a profile on the local machine. It writes it to the Documents and Folders directory but as soon as you log off and back on it's gone.

Like I said this is not a roaming profile.

Maybe the system thinks that it's supposed to be using a roaming profile even though you don't use them. Try checking the "Profile Path" setting for invisible characters, like spaces and such.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

We have found a solution.
There was a local user account for our domain(User@domain.com) on the machine that had become corrupted. We deleted that account and recreated it. When we reconnected to the domain the domain account worked properly. I don't know what caused the corruption but this seems to have fixed the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back