Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooby316

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2003
US
Hi all

I have a problem in that i have set up 2 networked printers on my XP stations. But when i log on a standard user the printers aren't there. They are there when i log back on as admin. How do i set them up to be visible to all users.

Cheers in advance

As Administrator, add the Group "Everyone" under the Security tab of each printer's property sheet.

The regular users should now be able to browse and create a printer mapping.

Cheers bcastner

Done that and users can map printers OK but they still need to map them everytime they logon. As it is a educational enviroment, i need the printer to stay there.

Thanks

Your group policy settings are too tough, and you are blocking them from setting a persistant printer mapping.

The best way to handle this is to use Group Policy an push the printers out through a logon script to make the printer mapping; or through a .bat or .cmd file done in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder.

Example: A Command (.CMD) to make two printer mappings.

rem Clear any existing printer assignments
net use lpt1: /delete
net use lpt2: /delete
net use lpt3: /delete

rem Case of two printers, one set as default with /y

rem First printer, non-default

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\server\printername

rem second printer, and made the default printer with /y

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\server\nextprintername /y

What setting do you change if you want to ake the policy a bit less rigid?
Would it be local or done through AD?

Locally cached or roaming profiles or mandatory profiles?

It sounds as if you are using mandatory profiles, and the printers are not in the profile. I think in this instance pushing a logon script would be the best idea, or give the users a choice. A good example of this latter approach appears in a recent thread by Forum member dillinger99:

thread779-581142

They are roaming profiles. We are running windows 2K Pro and quite alot of XP Pro machines. It seems to occur when the users go from XP and log onto and 2K machine.

Hello I have a suggestion for your printer problem. Install the printer as a local printer then add a port-standard tcp/ip port -enter the ip address of your network printers and install the drivers and viola you will be in business. We use this trick for all win2000 and xp machines. You can also set up things in one profile and copy the specs for that profile by following the information on the microsoft website here
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back