Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP=performance hit on Video cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maudman

MIS
Jul 17, 2001
US
I'm running a Hercules prophet 2 mx with 32 meg of RAM on it. In Win 98 I bench at 156 MP/S. In Win XP I bench at 96 MP/S. Any other cards taking a hit in XP? BTW, I've tried XP and Win 2000 drivers.

Yes that seems to be a theme I've seen in windows xp. If you ask me Microsoft is doing that on purpose to make the system more stable. It's bad for us high end users who need that level of performance.

MercuriusX, I even got myself a GeForce 3 TI 200 and the performance hitr is about equal in scope. The funny thing is that using 3D Benchmark 2001 I'm getting about equal performance which is at times 135 FPS at 1024 X 768 and 32 bit color. Go figure.

Not me. I have a Creative GeForce 2 GTS and it's faster and smoother than ever on XP.

Lower end systems will suffer because of the extra demands on CPU and memory made by XP, and the system running close to it's computing capacity.
Higher end systems on the other hand, with processor and memory in excess, will perform better with XP! than on previous windows, this is due to it's more efficient use of resources. As reported in all tests and benchmarks I have seen. Martin Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

My post disappeared. I love XP and with the 23.11 drivers my new GeForce 3 is taking no prisoners. I have a dual boot and it's hard to wait for something to come up in Win 98 when in XP it pops right up and yells, "Here I am! Let's go!".

I think onproblem on XP is the fact it won't let software control the hardware directly. I guess it is more stable that way, but darn at what cost?

How do you get your frame rate? I run an Nvidia GeForce II MX 100/200 and it seems much better on XP Pro than on 98. Saying that, everything does...

The debate is settled! read toms hardware guide for the definitive answer on this debate.
Games DO NOT! play slower in XP (there is some kind of refresh rate issue which can be patch fixed) but it is official, XP does not hit performance as long as you use an up to date PC. Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

Paparazi,

What type of refresh problem are we talking about? How is it displayed in a game? I have this glitch in my PC games since I upgraded from 98 to XP. Its hard to explain. picture a rectangle shaped object in a 1st person shooter. When I swing around in the environment, the the shape of the rectangle will disjoint itself becoming stair cased. I know this is where anti-aliasing and V-sync come into play. I've tried turning on v-sync, jacking the anti-aliasing all the way up, and played with the refresh settings with nothing! There is some sort of glitch in direct x 8.1 that can be fixed with SP1 but my system goes to hades if I install SP1.

denzilla,
The refresh rate problem that paparazi is referring to involves XP and 2000. On both operating systems, games were forced to run at a refresh rate of only 60Hz when in full screen mode. A low refresh rate will produce choppy animation in fast-moving scenes. This was a bug that microsoft didn't address until WinXP's Service Pack 1. Why is another story.

You can read more for yourself here:

For those of you reading this that have 2000, the solution depends on your video card. If you have an Nvidia card, the latest Detenator XP "Release 40 Beta" drivers should resolve this problem. If you own an ATI card or any other card, you'll have to rely on 3rd party freeware like RefreshForce or Radeonator. There are others and you can read more about them here:
~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Nice one cdogg. Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

Interesting thing happens when I try the link cdogg provided...to refresh.net...Zone Alarm True Vector CRASHES my comp. Instant blue screen. Can count on one hand the times that's happened.
I guess no one else has the problem?

Do you have Zonealarm Pro or Standard? I don't have the problem with the Pro version in Win98SE and Win2K. Of course, mine might be configured differently. I haven't had much luck with the privacy manager that blocks cookies. Try turning that portion off as a test.
~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

It's ZA Pro 3.0...WinXP...and I have cookie control to disallow 3rd party cookies.
I'll try it without that setting...I just cringe when I get the BLOO!
(also seems to be a question to field to this site's ZA newsgroup!)

It should be that XP gives superior games performance accross the board, particularly with nVidia's latest XP drivers which are designed to fully take advantage of memory bandwidth etc of GeForce cards.
I myself get better performance under WindowsXP @ 1600x1200 than under the same settings at 1280x1024 in Windows98!
Make sure that you have the latest VIA 4-1 drivers installed (if your mobo is a VIA chipset, that you're using the latest detonator drivers, that your computer specs are atleast double thos stated by Microsoft as minimum, that your mobo BIOS is set to the correct options such as highest AGP setting etc and that your graphics card is set up properly under display option with anti-aliasing etc disabled)

For reference, my system specs are:

AMD Tbird 1GHz
448MB SDRAM
ASUS A7V motherboard (KT133)
Galaxy GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB - TV DVI
(gives around 85% performance of the Ti4600!)
WindowsXP Home + Windows98 dual-boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back