Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP peer-to-peer using wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

microdude

Vendor
Sep 8, 2004
US
We have client who networked their workstations XP, w/SP2, in a peer-to-peer setting, construction trailer, desktop units, no laptops. When they use the network cables they can access files on the "server" ok. When they switch to wireless cards in the workstations, they get connectivity issues with savings files on the "server". They can still access the Internet ok. I added the maching name and IP address on the hosts file on the workstation, which seem to resolve the issue, but the problem re-appeared. The wireless is all Linksys.

Wireless issues can be many, a few other things to check or double check are:

Firewall settings in Windows XP, later antivirus programs also have firewalls, and I've found old uninstalled firewall programs leaving enough traces to effect network shares. The Linksys Wireless device may also have a firewall setting. Turning off any/all of these you have, access the network shared devices, then you may reenable the firewalls.

Permissions should not be an issue with an all XP network.

Signal strength will bounce 2-3 bars at times and outside influences such as microwave ovens, cordless phones, electrical static and nearby wireless networks may all cause sporatic problems.

I'm guessing firewall settings are your problem.

phatslug

I should have included that we disabled the XP firewall and the Firewall service in the Trend Micro Internet security suite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back