Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pc's can't ping each other 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juandaman81

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2004
GB
Help,

I have a new client, He has 2 pc's both with XP on. When we originally set these up they could ping each other no problems, but yesterday they reported that they can no longer see each other. We got them to replace the cables, and discard the hub, and plug into the back of a router which has a 4 pot hub, set both pc's to dhcp, they both pick up IP address, and can ping the router, but still not each other.. Now we've disabled the firewall, but this has made no difference, it's driving me nuts

Any ideas???

what are the ip addresses that have been assigned by DHCP. Are their any other connected devices, especially server systems? More info and I'll be able to tell you the problem.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

they both get given an ipaddress of 192.168.1.64 & .66 - the routers ip adress is 192.168.1.254
There are no servers or any other equipment attached other than the 2 pc's (dell's) and Adsl Router (BT), the windows firewall is off, as is the mcafee personal firewall(why there using this i don't know?), they can both get on the internet, via the router... but i am unable to remote control either of them, even though i know there internet ipaddress using RDC. RDC is enabled on both pc's. i'm going to try and get them to install vnc, whether they can do this or not, there not very good with computers...

disalbe the DHCP on the router. Assign static IP addresses and try it then.
Clarrification. The BT ADSL router has a built in hub? Does it have an "uplink" option. I've never seen a multiport BT router, I thought they only gave you singles, but I've been out of the coutnry for a while. Some of the "free" adsl multiport modems are just logical routers/hubs and by default, don't internconnect its ports. This is because the ISPs don't want the hastle of trying to diagnose home network problems. So all the machines connected to it, just through put to the internet, as if there were no other devices there. This is unlikely, but it is possible.

The other thing to check is, put the hub/switch back in, and plug the 2 machines and the modem into this, still with DHCP DISabled. Make sure you set the Def Gateway and DNS to the IP of the router.

Also make sure that hte 2 pc's subnets are the same, 255.255.255.0 and one hasn't got 255.255.255.224

Let us know.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Thank you:

I did this:

"The other thing to check is, put the hub/switch back in, and plug the 2 machines and the modem into this, still with DHCP DISabled. Make sure you set the Def Gateway and DNS to the IP of the router."

And it all started working, i can even take over the pc's now using RDC...

thanks for your time

The easiest way to have the two pc's see each other if you just want to share some data is to install nwlink and netbeui. They will see each other quickly, and then make sure you have admin pwds on both and you can map to both.

Also remember that XP machines have a built-in fire wall that is notorious for causing networking issues. See that both PC's have their firewall turned off and see if you can ping then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back