Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp password problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbieb14

Technical User
Jul 5, 2004
GB
Advice required on following project:

Small company of 25+ in the process of upgrading netware 4 server to 6.5 + win95/98 workstations replaced by XP Pro boxes.

At the moment XP boxes have required a windows username/password already set up to match the novell username/password. We currently do not use Zenworks.

This is a pain in the arse as it will require 25 username/passwords set up on every windows xp workstation so anyone can access the novell network on any workstation. Win98 as you know does not have this problem.

Will we have to go down the road of purchasing Zenworks just to solve this problem???

out of curiousity

what version of zen as you cant install zfd 4 onto a 6.5 server and isnt 6 in beta
??

altough it's only snapin functionality that is required for a dlu - can you still get the freebie starter pack?

Um.. ZFD4.01 ships with NetWare 6.5 Small Business. I have clients that run it fine on NetWare 6.5. I've also got clients running ZFD 3.2 on NW6.5 and it works great.

With ZFD 4.01, there is a problem with using ConsoleOne v1.3.6 (That ships with NW6.5).. So you have to install ConsoleOne v1.3.5 to manage ZEN. But other than that I have had good luck with it.

Also, the Zen 6.5 suite was officially released on June 28th.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

i was just curious

we have upgraded a lot of stuff to 6.5 and the zfd was already on it so it upgraded fine

we installed a new 6.5 and then zfd would install - there was a tid saying yep new version

thats good about 6.5 out - the joys of upgrade protection
nbeed to take it for a test spin

Ok thanks for the reply's guy's but I'm sure our 6.5 did not come with Zenworks. Anyway I take it that Zenworks is the only option I have to solve this problem???

eemm I'm not so sure the freebie starter pack is still available? If it is could someone send me the link?

Cheers.

Some people just create one local user with a blank password. It's still a hassle because you get 2 login prompts but it's the best I've seen without Zen.

The joy's of Microsoft software.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

I would create a domain and get away from work groups and then you would not have to create the users account on each workstation.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back