Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Password char

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyLuke

Programmer
Mar 28, 2001
NL
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows the exact password char which is used by the windows xp common controls 6. I can make a textbox with createwindowsex and es_password, and it will work fine, but its bit of a hassle and quite some easier if you simply would know the font and the character. I know some combinations which really look like it, but just aren't :) Most of the time the problem is that the dots aren't centered.

Any ideas?

LuCkY

Try setting the text box's font to Symbol and Bold. Then put your password routine in the keypress event and make sure you make KeyAscii = 183 (183 is the ascii number for the dot). Try this and let me know if it works for ya. Best Regards,
Nathan Martini
Advanced Computer Solutions

No, this is much different than it should be. I've noticed though that a unicode char is quite good. Any idea how I could get that as a password char?

Well, I don't see any difference from this password char than the XP version, except that the textbox itself is rounded on the edges! The characters are the same, I've checked it both on 98 and XP. 98's is * and XP's is a dot.
Place a textbox on a form and make the font Symbol and bold, maybe even a bit larger if you want. put this code inside the textbox's keypress event.

private sub textbox1_KeyPress(ByVal KeyAscii As Long)

KeyAscii = Asc(183)

End Sub

Everytime you enter a character into the textbox, the output will be the XP password character, which is a DOT. Best Regards,
Nathan Martini
Advanced Computer Solutions

No, perhaps I have a different character set than yours, but the dot symbol uses is sort of stretched and its not aligned perfectly in the center. It's not quite what I'm looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back