Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP or 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoatMan

Vendor
Nov 11, 2003
US
I'm running 2000 pro and am wondering if switching to XP would be a better choice. If so then how is it better?

It partially depends on your system specs and it partially depends on what kind of user you are...

If your system barely meets the minimum requirements of Windows XP or if it already lags on 2000, don't use XP. All the fancy decorations and artsy fartsy isn't worth it.

2nd: If your system specs do meet the requirements, and you want to personalize your PC to the max, then i suggest u get XP. It has more personalization on the desktop and elsewhere. (and i think XP crashes less because it runs on WinNT code...)

Anyone interested in forming Warcraft III clan contact me on AIM: vengeanceforsuji

vengeanceforsuji

'and i think XP crashes less because it runs on WinNT code'

as does 2k! (XP is just an upgrade of 2k - NT5 and NT5.1 in some circles). There's little to choose between them for reliability.

TheGoatMan - unless you need a specific feature(s) which XP has and 2k doesn't, there's no good reason to spend money on an upgrade (and XP is more resource hungry).

Windows XP offers much better compatibility with software that was written for Win95 & Win98 that did not work on Win2000. If all the software you want to run already works on Win2000, then there's no problems sticking with what you've aleady got.

This is my thoughts .

There is a much bigger native driver database in XP
especially for imaging .
( if that's an interest)
Some others
1. Connectivity (useful)
2. System Restore and Device Driver Rollback (useful)
3. Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance ( ? )
4. Application Compatibility Mode ( useful)
5. "Client firewall" ( Not so useful as free firewalls is better anyway)

Backside contra W2K ,
1. Product activation .
2. Resource usage ( mostly caused by the enhanced GUI )
3. Win2K Pro has less number of OS-related support calls.
( witch implies better stability in W2k over xp ? )

I can also add though that:

XP doesn't work properly in a Novell environment with roaming profiles, but 2K works great.

XP and 2K are very similar inside - as wolluf said, Win2K is NT 5, XP is NT 5.1. Drivers for one OS will 99% of the time work with the other with no problem at all.

My 2K box has not bluescreened once in 9 months, my dad's XP box has bluescreened twice in 4 months. However, that's far better than his old 98SE P2 system ever managed.

Basically, if you're happy with 2K then don't bother upgrading.

John

TheGoatMan
First, you should ask yourself: WHY do I want to upgrade.
If your answer is: I don't know, then you shouldn't.

Know the saying: if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

@TheGoatMan

Hi,

I'am 100 percent with Marc (marcs41).

Know the other saying: Never change a running system?

rgds
Dani

WEB Designer & WEB Developer (as per my working contract) and

Lupos.jpg

I should add, about a simple reference with my experience, that with my w2k i never suffered any bluescreen or 'serious' error. With XP i've had already strange and sudden bluescreens or errors related with the registry, but funnily, never related with a logical action like a program recent installation, modification, registry fingering... etc. It simply is able to decide when to fuck you, like if you play on a fruit machine, unprecedented.

So, in stability, speed, reliability, confidence, security, logic, and output terms and actions, is it w2k what i recommend. on the contrary, if you want beauty, color and interface entertainment, driver compatibility, and if you treat it well, also speed, output, but without so stability/reliability as with win2k, then XP Pro is your choice.

Best regards.

Chackt, please watch you language in here, no need to use f*** words.
If your system crash, please do not generalize, but fix it.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back