Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP not recognizing LG 24x cd-rw as a burner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

boogerboots

Technical User
Apr 3, 2002
CA
When I installed windows XP and all is working great except for one little thing..

I purchased an LG 24X CD-RW and windows doesn't seem to know that
it's a burner.. On the Drive Icon it shows that it's a CD-R drive but when I install
my burning software "tried, CDRWIN, Nero, BlindWrite, Paddus and Easy CD creator"
and they all say that there is no CD-R drives installed..

I also went to the LG website to download some drivers and they did not have
anything.

Any XP gurus out there that can help me out??

These are a couple of possible fixes to try. Also check Windows Updates site for some CD burning patches.

1. Run Regedit to open the Registry Editor
2. Switch to the following key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives

– All CD drives show up in same key

– “Drive Type” value determines whether drive is capable of writing and rewriting

01=CD-R Drive

02=CD-RW Drive

03=Write Disabled

3. Note: if you have more than 1 CD-ROM / CD-RW devices installed, you will see the related items under the Drivers. Please change the keys one by one, so you can find the correct key.

After doing the above steps, try to burn the CDs

Or try the following steps to fix the issue.

1. Click Start. Click Run. Type regedit and press Enter.

2. Expand the branches in the left panel and locate the following key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely.

4. Restart the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back