Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP not openning a Network connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

emansplz

Technical User
Nov 11, 2002
US
I have an WinXP Machine and when you click on IE you get a page cannot be displayed. I have the computer set to obtain IP & DNS information from the host. I can not ping the gateway or the DNS server, I have tried to manualy set the IP and still can't get anywhere. When the computer is set to obtain, and I do an IP config /all I get a IP that is not on the network at all. I found the IP in the Regestry and changed the IP there to see what would happen and the problem presisted. I disabled the intigrated NIC an installed a new one and XP didn't even see the card. I have reinstalled XP and replaced the Main board (the NIC was intigrated) and have had no luck.

Have ran ad-aware and cleaned all the junk off and ran virus scan and cleaned off those as well.

Any Ideas?

Have you tried a different network cable? also it sometimes helps if you reset your switch, or try a different port on the switch.

Yes I can a cable on the floor and plugged into a differnet port on the switch. I then later 1used that same cable to do the setup for a different computer and it worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back