Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Newbie Needs Dual Boot Assistance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluenoser337

Programmer
Jan 31, 2002
CA
On a system already running XP...how can I install 98SE as a second boot choice? Any problems with doing this? Thanks!

98SE and XP do work well together, however it would be easier to have 98SE installed first and then install XP to the 2nd partition. This is the easiest and less messy way, is this possible?? DEC

If it helps, let me know, if it doesn't, let me know. It's the only way I'll learn.

The best solution for this is to get another hard drive. It is much easier to have the operating systems on seperate hard drives. I have a dual boot with XP Pro and 98se. I have them on seperate hard drives and have no problem at all. I have not tried to run them on the same hard drive nor would I want to. Good Luck....

BW

See if these give you any ideas.

Dual boot to 98 after installing XP first
thread779-284874

HOW TO: Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP (Q306559)

Navigate to Win XP Tips and look for link to "Install 98/Me After XP is Installed".

Windows XP and Windows 98Boot.ini
thread779-315339

Here's a question: Why? Why do you NEED Win98SE if you're using XP? I used to feel that way too- but after 2 years I've finally come to the conclusion that there is NOTHING I can do I Win98SE that I can't do on XP. Even working with DOS programs I've found less problems running them in XP (especially when you can run them and 'trick' them into thinking that they are running on a 98 machine).

Maybe there's something I haven't run across yet.

The more you know, the more you realize you don't know.

Mike

I got one of those removable hard drive inserts for my computer. Now when I want to boot another operating system I just plug in the appropriate hard drive and turn the system on.

johnsonm...I agree that XP is a fine OS but I have so much software (that I have to use) that is incompatible (and some hardware with unavailable or hard-to-get drivers, etc). I'm interested in these tricks you mention. Thanks!

Just type "compatibility mode" in the Help and Support program Search Box and all ("tricks") will be revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back