Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP networking dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolecho

Programmer
Jun 19, 2007
US
Hello,

Something happened to my XP box networking cause I can't connect at all. Can't even ping the router. I have another system using the same router works fine. TCPIP properties are set up OK. I reinstalled serv pack 2. Also I removed the network adapter from device manager and reinstalled it with the manufacturers driver. The networking ICON in the tray says it's connected, and I hooked up a new cat 5 cable to the router and the tooltip pops up saying it's connected. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Are you sure the hardware is still ok? Maybe a lightning strike?

HTH RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP winXP Pro
Please respond to this forum so all may benefit

<<The networking ICON in the tray says it's connected>>

Have you tried right clicking on that and selecting the 'Status' option (assuming that option is enabled).

If so what reports do you get? re IP addreses etc.

Hi,

ipconfig /all returns the proper address, gateway, dns. I did click on the status option and selected properties, everything shows OK. As for hardware the networking is on the m/b so i'm thinking about sticking in a network card and see what happens. I tried to figure out something that would force XP to reinstall the networking support files.

Thanks.

Sticking in another card would be a good diagnostic. At least just to see what happens. You may need to disable the on-board nic in the BIOS.

Check the Netwok Card Settings to see if the Allow the Computer to turn off the is device to save power is unchecked. (Local Area Connection > Properties Screen > Configure button > Power Management )
Then look for a manufacture provided application that does the same thing and disable that or uninstall it.
This has fixed some weird disconnected network issues for me.

Stance

Well I disabled the m/b lan port and installed a network card that I had handy. XP automatically recognized the card so I configured TCPIP settings and tried it out but I still have the same problem! I'm thinking that I will have to resort to reinstalling XP.

Thanks

That seems extream. Do you have additional firewall software beyond that built into XP? If so them uninstall it, don't just turn it off.

I had installed sygate firewall but removed it for troubleshooting. This system is pretty bare bones because I reinstalled XP only the weekend before last. I installed office, adobe, bitdefender, nero, diskeeper so far. Don't know what else to do. Thanks.

Hi,
Is BitDefender configured to allow incoming and outgoing traffic ( Are you using their Internet Security product or the Anti-Virus)?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

ipreset does wonders in resolving these problems. Things get corrupted with IP and the reset clears it.

Try a google search for "ipreset" to get to the MS kb article.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks all for your excellent suggestions!

I tried the ipreset but no cigar. I will try out the Lost Connectivity after Registry or Malware Cleanup Faq tonite.
I'm almost getting to the point of calling microsoft support but that would be the last straw. I'd probably reinstall instead.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back