Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Network install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickeyncube

Technical User
May 29, 2003
GB
Hi Folks I need your help

I have an IBM thinkpad laptop withe the following specs:

Windows 95
6gb drive
128MB RAM
PII

This laptop doesn't have a CD-ROM drive and I want to install XP on it.
I have a workstation running Windows 2003 Server and an XP Professional installation CD. I can link the two using a cross over cable.
How can I install XP on my laptop???
Please help. I know it's something simple. Thanks for your help in advance.

ggod day

Why do a cross over

Have the 95 join the network and you can either do a push install or you can do a pull.

in other words make the cd drive on the server sharesed and install it from there.

bob

Thanks Rphips
That was the first thing I tried, and it requested for an Upgrade CD for Win XP.
I want to be able to format the hard disk on the laptop to NTFS. Then install from the CD.
I'm using a crossover cable as because I dont have a hub/switch.
Is there a way I could format the hard disk to NTFS
Then connect to the Server to install Win XP?
Is there software or any method I could use ?

you can get network bootdisks from here
or you can use remote installation services from the server
if your laptop supports networkboot

Thanks for the response DG659

I've managed to download 6 bootup disks from the bootdisk.com. I've formated the hard disk on my laptop to NTFS. Since the laptop doesnt have a CD-Rom drive I've copied setup.exe and the I386 folder to the root of C (of the laptop).
Powered up the laptop and from the command prompt typed in WINNT
but I got an error message that Setup couldn't copy disk1. I selected skip file, and numerous other files came up.
Then I aborted installation

All I want is a simple way I can install XP on my laptop with the following hardware :
PIII PC with Windows XP with CD-Rom
Crossover cable to link XP pc with laptop
Win XP installation CD
laptop with intel etherexpress Pro 10/100 pcmcia card

Is it possible to put the installation CD in my XP box. Get software to map to my shared cd rom from the laptop and run the installation from there.
I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for helping me.

Another thing to consider before you install is Win Xp won't run very fast with only 128mb of RAM. Even 256MB isn't very good.

There are two ways to do this. (yes I know it's boxing day. I'm bored and at work.)

1st. boot with a dos floppy to c:\ prompt. Make a I386 directory (type md I386, that's letter i) and cd I386. your prompt should now read c:\I386>. have alook at your cd drive acrross the cable you and not it's name I'll use s as an example. Type the following

copy s:\I386 *.*

as your in your I386 dir you should not need to specify anything else. now you have the installation contents of the cd on your laptop type WINNT.exe and the install should start.

I can't be bothered to type the other way which is an etwork install try looking in the tools/support folders of the cd and checking out the readme file. Also run scandsk /full on your laptop hard drive. It could be rooted.
Good luck.

Thanks Chief!

It worked. I also loaded smartdrive to the root. Installation kicked off after that.

Oops. Forgot to mention smartdrive without which it can take an entire day. Glad It helped anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back