Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp network cards not functioning ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redmike

Technical User
Feb 25, 2002
IL
Hi,

trying to help a friend who has recently installed XP pro - I'm familar with W2k but less so with XP.

He has two network cards and cannot connect via his cable modem to the ISP.

I just tried hooking my laptop up at his place via a router and my machine logged on immediately but he still can't get onto the web even via the router. The router light comes on when I plug his computer into it and goes out when I unplug it.

This is probably (hopefully) really something dumb that he or I are doing. I used his Network Wizard and tried turning off the XP firewall. I don't need to set up a network between our computers (as I live somewhere else :) but when I tried to do so I got a "cable disconected" message.

I can enable and disable the cards with no problems and they have no yellow question marks in "device manager".

Any help would be appreciated,

Mike

redmike,

Maybe disable one card for now, until you get the other one in working order. Try going into your router config and clone the MAC address of the NIC card that is still enabled and connected to the router. Maybe driver updates??? I've also ran into a problem similar to this with my modem being enabled along side of my NIC, and the computer was looking for the modem configuration and not the NICs, to get to the net. Maybe wanna try with some of these ideas if you already haven't done so. Hope it helps to get you started towards the right direction.

Just going out of the door for a couple of hours but will check for driver updates when I come back.

I don't think that it's an address problem as his computer can't log on to the ISP even when connected directly to the modem.

thanks,

Mike

Ensure that the network card is set to Auto Detect.

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back