Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP / Netware Queue, will not print more then 1 copy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudyvs

Programmer
May 20, 2001
CA
I have a ipx based Netware 6.0 Server. I have printers on print servers the service print queues. All XP-PRO work stations have printers installed pointing to the print queues. No matter how many copies I request I only get ONE copy. It doesn't seem to matter which application I am using or what version of Netware (tried 5.0 - 6.5) or Netware Client (currently using 4.91 SP1, the same problem exists. However I can print from WIN98 similarly configured and print as many copies as I want!!!

I have searched both Novell and Microsoft KB's with no solid solutions found.

Any Ideas??

When you print, have you got the 'collated' box checked?

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have tried several different printers as well as un-checking and checking the 'collate' box. In all cases the results are the same.

No matter what I try, printing from XP to a Netware queue will never yield more then one copy!!

Hmmmmmmm - well I've never tried & don't have anything to try on. It makes me think that Netware just ignores the no of copies. Or more likely XP doesn't set the field correctly. Is there any possibility you can use a packet tracer to see what's going on?

Have you tried installing the same printer drivers the 98 machine is using on an XP box?

Again good suggestion. I am sure I tried this before but I made the driver change (which was a bit of trick also) but had the exact same results.

As I stated in the beginning I have tried several differnet makes of printers and various drivers including generic drivers. In all cases the results are the same.

I do not have a packet tracer. Any suggestions??

Ethereal is pretty good & best of all its free. - you'll most likely also need WinPcap - follow the links for that.

Whether you can spot the relevant field of course !!!!!!!!!!

You could try running Ethereal on the server and printing the same document with the same software on 98 & XP. But the rest of the network would have to be dead quiet! Alternatively you could run etherial on both machines and start the packet capture just before printing. You never know, you might get lucky!

Best of luck!

Hi RudyVS

What Netware client are you using? If you are using the MS client, that may be the source of your difficulties. I don't have any experience with NW6, but on 3 & 4 I have found problems with the MS client when using the Novell capture command, which is I assume how you are requesting multiple copies.

In general, the Novell client works much better, though it is a bit of a problem to install for NW 6 because you have to do a custom install to get IPX support (default is IP only).

The other thing to check is make sure the printer definition is set to print direct to the printer, not to spool. The Netware server will handle the spooling.

Maybe a look at the Netware 6 forum on this site would help.

Jock

Thanks Jock,

I am using Netware Clients only (4.91 SP1). I have duplicated the problem with Netware 5 up to the current version 6.5. I also have printers set to print direct, but I have tried spooling just in case and the same thing happens. I really think this is an XP issue some how, but I have posted the same question in the Netware Forums, with no response as of yet

I am having this issue, however it's printing from an XP machine straight to a network printer.

It's only for one user though, I for example print to the same printer and the requested copies come out!

Perhaps it's not a Netware issue? I read a while ago about a Windows update that affected printing but I can't for the life of my find the article.

It's certainly stumped me, and i'm being asked about 5 times an hour by the user it's affecting lol

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back