Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP / Netware Queue, will not print more then 1 copy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudyvs

Programmer
May 20, 2001
CA
I have a IPX based Netware 6.0 Server.
I have printers on print servers the service print queues.

All XP-PRO work stations have printers installed pointing to the print queues. No matter how many copies I request I only get ONE copy. It doesn't seem to matter which application I am using or what version of Netware (tried 5.0 - 6.5) or Netware Client (currently using 4.91 SP1), the same problem exists. However I can print from WIN98 similarly configured and print as many copies as I want!!!

I have searched both Novell and Microsoft KB's with no solid solutions found.

Any Ideas??

Seems more like a windows problem. Or maybe a printer driver problem on XP. Where did you get the driver from?

Honestly a better solution would be to use NDPS and forget queues altogether.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Thanks Marvin,

I couldn't agree more that NDPS is the best solution.
Also I agree that it is a Windows XP issue, since I can not duplicate the problem with any other Windows version. However it is a going to be awhile before changing over since the main application (custom built multi location inventory management) that my client is using can not print to anything other then LPT ports or Queues. There are plans to up date but it may be awhile.

As far as print drivers are concerned, the printers I have tried are HP deskjets, HP laser Jet, Lexmark Laser, and Samsung Lasers. All with same results.

I also posted the question on the XP forum. Many interesting comments, but no solutions as of yet.

Thanks again.

PS Your reply to the "Is Netware Viable" question was 100% correct. I supply custom software that is used in many locations in Western Canada, most on Netware...a few on the "other" network OS. THe difference in supporting the network is unbelievable. Novell wins by a landslide!!!

Ok, when I am tied to a queue for a specific application, I like to implement a 50/50 queue/ndps solution. Use NDPS for printer delivery and management, but configure it to service a legacy queue for those people/apps that need it. This way I can get away from the clunky queue management and also go with TCP/IP but support queue based apps at the same time.

Technically, I believe that when you print to an LPT port that has a queue captured, you are bypassing the Windows drivers. So a bad driver is most likely not the issue.

There is a configuration on the Novell client for "Default Capture". There is a setting in there for "Number of Copies" and is set to '1' by default. I have no idea how this setting is useful, but maybe this setting is overriding your application. I would think the application should control it. Perhaps you can make some headway on that front.

Good luck.

Marvin

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

I've seen this with PCL6 drivers. Reverting to PCL5 has worked everytime so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back