Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP, multiple monitors and IBM Thinkpad

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattWray

Technical User
Nov 2, 2001
US
My boss has an IBM thinkpad running WinXP. He connects it thru the grapics port on the back to an external monitor. With Win2000, if the monitor was hooked up the display would come thru it. If not it was on the laptop. Now with WinXP, when it boots up, it is on both. And you have to manually put it on the big monitor with Function F7. My boss is becoming increasingly annoyed with this, any suggestions? Thanks,

Matt Wray

Get a new boss?

Seriously, have you checked to see if IBM has released update drivers?

I hate to say it but I think the F7 key is the only way that he is going to get past this issue. Check this out:

Hot Docking Does Not Switch the Screen Resolution of Your Monitor in Windows XP

I know that he's not having a problem with the screen resolution, but the entries under Cause and Solution lead me to believe that this is inherent. What happens if he closes the cover on the thinkpad? Does it go into hibernation or turn off?

The only other thing that might help is a BIOS upgrade...what's the model # on the Thinkpad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back