Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP: Modem Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

agilo

Programmer
Feb 4, 2004
TR
Hi,

I do have a problem to get connected to the internet using my 56 kb/s notebook build in modem. The OS is Windows Media Center Service Pack 2. The modem is an Agere Creatix 2.0 AC'97 one.

Dialing an internet provider continues till handshaking (I hear the computer is dialing), and suddenly the connection is cut before connecting with the error message No. 678 (The Computer You Are Dialing Into Is Not Answering).

I can dial any my hand number without problem.

Any help is welcomed...

Does your ISP have a different local number you can call?

The ISPs around here (tiny town) have 2 numbers each, so maybe you can try that.

new modems, some v92 modems have modem on hold (MOH)and other protocols that the isp may not do a successful handshake with. you isp can usually help you get connected and stay connected.

Hi,

I have tried different numbers and providers, I still have the same problem.. I get connected easy with the provider using another pc.
The modem is a V90 one.

Regrads,

if the updated driver doesnt work then put another modem in your pc. ask one of the IT guys at work, they always have extra 56k modems laying around collecting dust.

Thanks Guys,

Reseting the winsock (netsh winsock reset) helped..
I get connected now to the internet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back